𝟢𝟣𝟤,𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐳𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐠

CH. TWELVE
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

"Can I change teams?"

Gally and Joan share a dirty glance. A team that involves them, Ben, Alby (who they had to beg to join), Clint, and Winston. The other team is Newt, Minho, Fry, Zart, Jeff, and Hank.

There's a few other boys, but Joan doesn't really know their names. Neither do they seem interested in sharing them.

"Nope. It's already settled. You two try to figure out those problems y'all have. Perhaps solve 'em," Minho suggests, grinning.

A sigh leaves her mouth. "Fine, then."

It's literally just capture the flag, but if you get tagged by another team's member, you freeze. Only your teammates can unfreeze you. Easy peasy.

"Try not to get any hallucinations," she snaps when he 'accidentally' bumps into her side as he walks away.

"Try not to start whining if it does happen," he spats back.

"Try not to—"

"Yeah, that's enough." Newt turns her around. "It was your idea to do this, so you're gonna make it fun, too. Don't ruin the game because you hate him so much. Bloody work together or somethin'."

"You might've noticed, but we don't get along very well," she says. "So I'm afraid we can't—"

"Let's just start." He pulls a face. They apart ways. Soon, she's standing with the boys in her team, discussing where to hide the flag.

"Up the tower," Winston suggests.

"Or up the Maze wall," Joan says. "Climb up the—"

"No!" All boys protest at once.

With a frown, she ends up nodding. "Not that, then... up the tower sounds alright."

"Alby and I will guard," Clint suggests. "Joan's the smallest, so if she goes look for their flag, Gally, Ben, and Winston go freeze everyone they see."

"Awesome." Excited, Joan gives Clint a smile. They hide their flag before Camil counts from three to one, and the game starts.

She goes for the run straight away.

Unfortunately, it's one step in, and she's on the ground.

She wipes dirt off her cheek. "Are you kidding me, Gally?"

"I didn't see you," he snaps, then runs off while she's still getting up. The shuck boy held out his leg, right in front of hers.

Once Joan's finally running around the Glade as carefully as she can, it goes alright. She's moving on a great pace and can't spot anyone who might get in her way. Just got to find their flag with that small light attached to it.

Although, the dumbest thing Minho could do while he was sneaking up behind her, was let out a laugh.

She spins around. "Spare me?"

"Definitely not."

How is she, a Tool-Maker, supposed to outrun a Runner

Well, she can try.

It only lasts for like three seconds. Minho's getting closer and closer and— she slips to the side right before he can tag her. "Ha!"

Don't cheer too early. He twists around and right there, taps her on her shoulder.

"Ah, come on."

"Too bad." He grins. "Have fun standing here."

A middle finger at him right before he disappears, flashing through the dark night with the pace he's running at. There's another fast figure in the distance, though. Must be Ben.

"Ben!" She whisper-yells, but he doesn't hear her. Awesome. After a few minutes, the girl plops down on the ground and picks at grass.

The Glade's way too big to be playing this game. And she's almost behind the Homestead, so the hidden place doesn't help much.

Eventually, her mind starts repeating the situations of the last weeks. The fun she had, her becoming a Keeper, the boys here, and mostly her thoughts on this place itself.

Is it bad that after everything, she still doesn't trust anyone? She likes her friends, she really does, but... something's stopping her. She did tell Fry about the hallucinations, but maybe because she already knew Gally had them too, and Fry's Gally's best friend. They can't really use it against her if anything happens.

That's it. She doesn't want them to use anything against her. Well, partly. The other reason is something she's sure she'll figure out later.

A tap on her shoulder from Winston and she's free to go run again. She checks the highest places she knows, but there's not a lot up there.

"Their flag is covered behind ivy, next to the Doors," Ben whispers. "Have to admit Newt can't run as fast as me, but he's got Jeff and Fry. I try to distract while you catch that flag, yeah?"

"Yeah."

Two months later, Joan thinks about their game. It had been fun, especially because they ended up winning. In the meanwhile, not a lot happened. Usual adventures with Camil, training two Greenies but neither of them ending up as a Tool-Maker, hating Gally, and seeing a few hallucinations. Nothing new, though.

Wow. Four months of being here. Overall, it's not that bad. But the more time she spent working on her own, the more she starting thinking about her past. Is her family dead? Likely, after the dream, or whatever it was. There's a slight chance Camil's her half brother. And she made a promise to Gally and Minho, and she broke it.

A sigh leaves her mouth as she pours the boiling water onto the flowers. How come she knows this much about brewing mixtures? And it's not just about plants. Whenever she's in the Med-Hut, she can easily figure out what the medicines are used for. What pill is for what, and what happens if you mix things.

She needs answers. Desperately. No matter it might hurt to find out her family's dead. She doesn't really know them anyways. No matter what this whole situation with Gally actually is. They already hate each other anyways.

There's an intrusive thought. She tries to convince herself it is, at least. It's been there for a while, but as long as she manages to stop herself from doing it by thinking it's just a stupid thought and not a real plan, she won't do it.

If you want to know, go ahead and get yourself stung. See how lovely that is, to know everything about your past. I'm sure no one will mind.

Well, she wouldn't mind at all. Gally might be right for once.

It's dangerous, though. She might get punished for walking into the Maze! Or the Griever kills her instead of getting her stung. What if she never finds a Griever, but does get lost?

Fuck it. She'll get her answers and if not, that's too bad. Not like she's that valuable in the Glade.

Lunch just ended. It's one PM. Five more hours 'till the Doors close. But didn't Newt mention the Grievers only come out at night?

No, they always come out at night. During the day, they're not sure.

Then Joan shakes her head. She won't get herself stung. If the aftermath makes her depressed or anything, no one will help her because it'll be her own fault after all.