𝟢𝟤𝟢,𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐚 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐫

CH. TWENTY
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

Joan runs into the kitchen with wide eyes, which meet Newt's first, then trail over the others in the room: Winston, Fry, Zart, and Minho.

"Whoever covers for me gets free oil," she announces, attempting to catch her breath.

"What did you do this time?"

"And... cologne!" She adds.

Newt's eyebrows lift even higher.

"And my love for you...?" She peeps. "Gosh, please just tell Alby I'm not here!"

They all share a glance. "What did you do, then?"

"Look— it's a long story."

Minho arches his back, stretching. "We have all the time. Right, guys?"

"I don't!" She shrieks. "Just help m— oh my god." Fast, the girl crawls under the table at the sound of someone entering, and she holds her breath.

"Anyone seen Joan?"

Yup, that's Alby.

A long silence. Then finally, "Nope."

"Why?" Must be Newt.

"She mixed salt in Clint and Jeff their food, broke a window in the Med-Hut, told the whole shucking Glade that the Med-Jacks have a secret relationship, and painted "I LOVE JEFF" on Clint's shirt, and "I LOVE CLINT" on Jeff's shirt."

Payback for locking her up!

The one who bursts out laughing must be Minho, according to the way she can see him shaking. Then Fry follows, and soon they're all laughing.

"Well, if she's not here, I'll leave." Alby sighs. His footsteps trail into the distance until they're no longer audible, and that's when she reveals herself again.

"Thanks!" She gives them a thumb up before she rushes away, all the way to the lake so she can fulfill her wish to go swimming. Hopefully, Gally won't be a dirty little klunk this time and let her keep vision on her clothes.

The water is cooler than last time, but refreshing and clear as always. Little stones and shells morphing in the sand below her. A few water lelies.

It's a great distraction from the aftermath of the Changing, just like talking to Gally, messing with the Med-Jacks, and running away from Alby.

Honestly, it's all just to keep her mind off things. At night, she tries to think about other things, but she fails. It's always flashbacks or nightmares that wake her up. No longer daylight, or Camil's yells.

But she'll survive. Eventually.

"Alby's looking for you."

She nearly stops swimming at his voice. "I know. I fled."

Gally takes a step closer, the bottom of his shoes cracking shells. "Not afraid someone's gonna steal your clothes?"

"Definitely afraid," she says. "But I mean, I've always got more clothes. And after what I did to Jeff and Clint, I don't think they'll try much."

A grin starts to form on his face. "I might."

"You wouldn't," she says. "Because I already dislike you enough that I'd hit you without you having to steal my clothes."

"Alright." He chuckles. "Is the water nice?"

"Why? You wanna join?"

"You'd drown at my looks, and I don't want to be blamed."