𝟢𝟤𝟣,𝐩𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝

CH. TWENTY - ONE
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

Panting, she awakes from the nightmare. It's nothing new, really. Visions of that desert, people who make disgusting noises right in her ear, so she's desperately turning to see them, yet she can't. It's just hearing the chokes. The cries of help, the pleases, or words she barely understands.

It's five AM, according to the watch Alby gave her a while ago. Normally, she wakes up at thirty past five, so she has an hour and a half to calmly eat breakfast, get ready, and get her supplies ready for work before the rest wakes up at seven.

Unfortunately, there's no other Tool-Makers yet, so there's not much people she's preparing for, but alright.

To her surprise, she's not the only one awake at this time. It's quite obvious Minho is already up, but that's because he needs to go run. She sees Gally in the distance with Fry, who's getting breakfast ready.

The grass is still damp, splashing up her legs with each step she takes. She doesn't care that she's still in her pajama shorts and an oversized shirt. She'll change after breakfast. Right now, just gotta escape the nightmare.

"Need any help here?" She asks Fry, giving Gally one quick glare.

"Sure," he laughs. "That shank over there ain't helpin' much."

She gets to work, smiling lightly. "Why up so early, then, Gally?"

He grumbles something.

As usual.

Joan decides not to go further into that and continues spreading the cinnamon over the dough, which soon will turn into cinnamon rolls. "Nice idea to make this, Fry."

"It's actually for tonight. Greenie Day, remember?"

Her back straightens, eyes widening. "Really? It's been a month since I got stung, too?"

"It's been five months since you arrived," he replies. "Time flies."

And she still hasn't really told anyone about her experiences here. Not really her true opinions. And also not about the Changing.

Well, she told Gally, but that's different! He also went through the Changing. And their memories match, so that's why.

"I think I'll be going to work," Gally announces from behind, then he has disappeared.

Fry chuckles under his breath. "Seems like you two finally solved things."

"Sort of," she mutters. "Why was he here?"

"Interested, huh?"

"Or just trying to figure out a good reason for his awful presence."

He chuckles another time, cutting the cinnamon roll she just slid over to him in pieces. "Well, let's see... we're friends?"

"Right." She nods. "Now you say that, I'd like to know what boys actually talk about when they're alone."

Frypan shrugs. "I'm sure Gally and I talk about way different things than Newt and Alby do."

"I don't think so. All you boys are the same, except some are nicer than others. So? What do you two talk about? How awesome Gally would look in the pink clothes he refuses to wear?"

"Well, he does grumble about his clothes." Frypan lets out a laugh. "And about your interesting color questions."

She gasps, heat increases in her face. "He told you about that?"

"He tells me a lot, trust me. I'd say almost everything."

"And?" Slowly, the grin starts to form. "Say he admitted how amazing my payback on Jeff and Clint was."