𝟢𝟦𝟪,𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

CH. FORTY - EIGHT
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

The second she exits the Med Hut, she sees them. The Grievers entering the Glade.

And when she tries to tell them not to, only more keep coming.

They're no longer listening.

Thomas killed the piece inside of her. The piece that could control them.

Then out of nowhere, someone grabs her arm. Newt's fingers dig into her skin so hard that she winces. "Walk," he urges.

"What are yo-"

"You're going into the Slammer," he snaps. "So you can't do anything. You've done enough."

"Let go of me."

"No."

"Right now," she orders. "Let go of me, Newt. I'm not going into the Slammer."

"Should've thought of that before you mislead all of us." His hand wraps around her arm even tighter as he pulls her with him.

She shakes her head. "Look- what I've been doing, it's the right thing. It was for your own good. Have I ever made the Grievers harm y'all? No."

"It tried to harm Tommy, who then crushed one between walls."

"Yes, but-"

But she doesn't have a reply to that.

"And Ben and Alby got stung. I don't think that's not harming."

"You think I was busy controlling those Grievers every second of the day? I would've stopped them from that if I knew!"

"Would you?" He looks her up and down. "Wasn't that the job? To stop all the Runners? To keep them from finding a way out?"

"I didn't want anyone to die-"

"Yet Ben did," Newt cuts her off. "If you would've told us you can control them-"

She pushes him before he can finish his sentence.

Not to push him away from her.

Panicked, she takes the first object she sees: a spear that's standing against the Med Hut. And she throws it at the Griever that just tried to attack Newt, hitting it in the eye.

Along with its high-pitched yell, she also screams in pain. Thomas might've killed the connection of sending them orders, but she can still feel their pain.

Not all connections are gone.

With a last glare at her, Newt runs off to the others. She thinks that, after a year and a half, he leaves her hanging, even though she did wrong things- but then she realizes that he doesn't know she can no longer control the Grievers.

...do they think she's sending the Grievers at them right now?

Unfortunately, another stab of pain makes her cry out. She sees Gladers throw spears at Grievers. Watches them throw some of her chemicals, so the creatures get set on fire.

She, again, tries to stop the pain. Her legs are shaking below her. Blood's starting to stream from her nose and maybe even ears. She feels the fire against her own skin. Feels their spears stab into her body.

With a cry, she clenches her fists. She can't faint again. If she does, she might be out even longer, and then it won't work in her benefit. Maybe Gally will escape with them and she wouldn't even have a chance to say bye. Or Camil.

What's he feeling, right now? He was right in front of her when they figured out what she did.

Gally? She asks, trying to keep her mind clear for this. Where are you?

Joan? The surprise is clearly visible in his voice. I'm looking everywhere for you- thought you were in the Med Hut-

I'm outside it, she tells him, right before she almost falls over from pain.

A few seconds later, she sees him coming between her fuzzy vision. His arms wrap around her, scooping her into them. "There you are," he says, sighing in relief.

He probably doesn't know what she did yet.

Will he forgive her once he finds out?

"Gally- I can- the Grievers, I can control-"

"I know. I saw all your notes and drawings. Put the pieces together," he murmurs in her ear, still hugging her.

"I'm sorry-"

"Not right now. We've got to hide," he decides, taking her hand. "Wait, no-" the boy lifts her up instead, and starts running towards- what is it?

The Box.

Smart.

They arrive quite quickly. Before she knows it, he has closed it and she's sitting in the corner, wincing in pain. Trying not to scream it out.

"You can feel all of it?" He asks. Both of them ignore the other boys beside them.

She nods. "And they think I'm controlling them right now but I'm not- I swear I'm not, Gally. I didn't mean for all of this to happen."

"It's okay," he assures quietly. His hand reaches to move her hair out of the face. Because as always, it's in there. "I believe you. And they don't know that the outside world is ruined. They don't understand that it is the right thing."

She nods. Grits her teeth at another stab in her side. "They said you went mad," she manages a chuckle at it.

"Oh, well..." He gives an awkward smile, shrugging. "Maybe a little bit. But Thomas built this place. I found out about that, too. And that girl? She helped him."

"Just when I thought I found someone new who I could be friends with," she replies. It's all so ridiculous that it makes her smile.

"Well, you'll always be my friend," he says. "And girlfriend. And sometimes rival. Perhaps there's little left of the enemy part."

Her smile widens a bit, even through the pain. "Yeah. I better be."

He sits down next to her, taking her hand. "I'll keep you awake by talking."

"Thought you hated yapping."

"Not from you. Or for you."