𝟢𝟣𝟧,𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠

CH. FIFTEEN
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

Sun flares are burning the trees down. Animals run away from the fire, passing the lone, dirty girl.

She lost her backpack a while ago. Everything's gone. Her healing serums, her mother's locket, the dried flowers she collected with Camil... everything has been exploded until there was nothing left.

And she ran. Once the arms started touching her, she freed herself and left Camil behind. Left everyone who was left behind. Left the promise to save them behind.

"Gally?" Her hands shake around the walkie-talkie. She tries to ignore the hot feeling of the fire around her, but it's hard when it starts to hurt. "I'm sorry," she says. "They— we got bombed. You and Minho can't get here. I have no idea where I am, and—"

Then she realizes the device is dead. Nothing on the screen, no Gally, nothing.

"Honey, don't add that. It's gonna expl—"

There here mixture goes, along with her decent outfit and hair, which were clean before. Joan coughs, waving steam off with her hand. Then, she groans loudly. "I almost had it! This fucking thing—"

"Language," her father warns. "Where are ya learnin' all those words from, kid?"

She shrugs. "My friend on the walkie."

He raises a suspicious eyebrow. "Be careful with who you talk with. Never know if they're who they say they are."

"But they are! They're at WCKD, trying to escape," Joan explains. "And I'm going to help them."

Her father sighs. "I'm sure you will."

A fifteen-year-old stares back at her in the mirror. The brown hair is tied in a tight, low ponytail. Her cheekbones are slightly hollow, but she seems healthy enough after everything that has happened.

She makes her way to the Record Room, where a boy with curls just walks out of.

"Hey, Chuck. Already done watching?" She frowns.

"Thomas told me to leave," he says somberly.

"Oh. Why?"

The kid shrugs. "He said something was wrong. But it was just Newt entering the Maze, like he does every morning."

Slowly, she nods. "I'll check it out."

Chuck leaves while she opens the door to the record room, a big screen the first thing revealed. She doesn't have a long time to inspect what's happening, because arms wrap around her and something wet hits her neck.

"Thomas?" She murmurs. "What's wrong?"

Her first week in this place had been awful. After all the torture with syringes, attempting to get answers out of her, they found out her knowledge of chemistry, and sent her to the lab. Day and night, she helped with the serums, but barely succeeded. This wasn't her level of working. She knew the plants and some chemicals. Not whatever science this was.