𝟢𝟦𝟢,"𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲-"

CH. FORTY
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Alright, Chuck." She nods. "I've talked to him yesterday. He promised not to kill you. Did get a little suspicious because of my request, but alright. He won't expect us to bother his break on the toilet."

A laugh escapes Chuck's mouth. He's been here for three days, remember his name when he accidentally tripped over a stone, and is now supposed to be training as a Tool-Maker, except they have other plans.

"I'll have a good word for you, by the way," she adds. "If you want to be a Tool-Maker."

"I haven't been good at anything so far." Slowly, his bottom lip starts to move forward again. "So yes, please!"

She grins. "Because you said please. Now come on! We've got a grumpy boyfriend to scare."

Nodding in excitement, Chuck follows her toward the little window that's above the toilet. She holds a finger against her lips before she gives him the sign. With a chuckle, the kid slams his fists against the window a few times, then starts running away as fast as he can, Joan on his heels while there's... quite some yells from the toilet.

At some point, they've reached the picnic tables. And they don't even get to catch their breath; Gally has already arrived in front of them.

Chuck jumps behind her with a yelp, as if she's a human shield, or a barrier between him and Gally.

"I take back what I said," Gally decides.

"No. You'll be nice to Chuck," she replies. "It was just a little game we were playing. Also, it was my idea! So don't blame him."

He tilts his head to the side. "Your idea, hm?"

"Yup." She puts her hands on her hips, nodding heavily. "My idea."

Him reaching behind them, grabbing a bowl, and pouring the little yogurt that was left in it all over the side of her face and neck happens so fast that she can't even react for a few seconds.

Then she gasps, just like Chuck, and wipes it out of her eye. "You're gonna regret doing that," she threatens.

"I'm not scared of you."

"We already collected a ton of spiders this morning," Chuck lies.

Following along, Joan nods. "I'll stick them right up your ass. And put them in your yogurt."

"She really will," Chuck adds. Okay, maybe that was a little unnecessary to add, but he's kind for helping...?

"And what if I clean that up?" Gally's eyes trail to the yogurt, dripping onto her shirt.

Her eyebrows raise. "Then I'll only put the spiders in your yogurt. But you have to make sure my shirt gets out of the laundry clean, too!"

"Okay," he promises. "Sit down on the table so I can reach your neck."

"You don't have a cloth."

"I don't need a cloth to clean it up."

She frowns for a few seconds, then her eyes wide. "Ah-ah, we're not doing that in public and especially not in front of the kid!"

"Fine," he huffs. "At least let me do it like this, then." Gally takes steps closer until he's in front of her, and wipes the yogurt off her cheek with his hand. Shakes it off, then continues until most trails are gone.

She looks up to find him grinning lightly. Some sort of smile, but amusement in his eyes, which have lighted up. Blue, with gray dots. Quite admirable, as always. But especially now, when daylight allows the colors to spring out. Oh, and then his freckles—