𝟢𝟥𝟤,𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞

CH. THIRTY - TWO
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

"Ah, come on, Joan! Gimme the details!" Minho begs, all the way from below the wooden, unstable tower they're lying on. "How come Camil gets the details and I don't?"

"Because you're not my best friend."

"Harsh! Gally, you'll give me something, right?"

"Didn't Fry and Camil tell you enough?"

It's been a week since Fry and Camil yelled like that, and everyone has been bugging the couple with questions. It's awful. And now Minho has found them, even though twilight has fallen a while ago, and it's almost completely dark outside.

And he's waking people up with his yells for sure.

"No. When I ask them, Camil says things that are unbelievable, so I need more truths!"

"Why?"

"I want gossip. You know how boring it's been lately?"

"Minho, leave before I toss this freaking wood down on your head."

"No need to get agressieve, ma— okay! I'm gone!"

Sighing, Gally lies back down next to her, both their eyes fixed on the sky above them. A few stars are dotted over the dark blue area, shining in a lovely way.

"Wish it was always this peaceful," she says quietly. "As the stars."

"Too much on your mind?"

She nods. "Yeah," and her voice breaks a bit. "I try not to think about it, but that only works during the day. At night, I'm left with my thoughts, and they repeat everything from the Changing. Or I wake up from more memories, or nightmares about the memories I already have."

He reaches for her hand. Squeezes it. "You know you can always show up at my hut when you can't sleep? Or when you're overthinking. Yeah?"

"Thank you." She scoots a bit closer to him. "What's it like for you?"

"I don't really have... clear memories. Besides the faces and flashes of other things I saw, I can't really get much answers. I just saw this boy and a girl. They worked for The Creators. And I know outside the Maze, it's no good."

"I saw that, too," she admits. "What did the boy look like?"

Gally describes him.

"His name is Thomas," she then says. "I don't know about the girl, but your description and my memories match."

"Untrustworthy," he decides. "But I also thought you were untrustworthy, and you turned out not to be."

"That was a misunderstanding. I broke a promise to save myself, thinking I lost everyone anyways, and you found it selfish, though you didn't know much about the bombing."

"I no longer think it was selfish. And I probably got that angry because of what happened after. With the Griever," he mutters. "I remember someone saying Minho wasn't the same for over a year."

"And you?" She wonders softly. "Do you think you changed much?"

"For sure. Also after the Changing." He nods. "How come you haven't? I don't mind at all, but the differences are so big."

"I try not to make myself change by all the memories. Just... live in the moment. And you're here, too. I know you understand it all. And that I can talk to you."

"Can. But you don't. Not really. Why?"

"Have you ever talked to someone about what you saw?"

"Well, no, but—"