𝟢𝟦𝟫,𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐮𝐭

CH. FORTY - NINE┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

When she awakes, it's still in the Box. With an aching body from last night. An empty stomach. Not from the lack of food, but from the feeling as if something's missing. But she doubts they've managed to kill Grievers. It's one) very hard and two) her pain would've been ten times worse.

A pillow and a blanket surround her, but that's about it. No Gally, or any of the Builders that were in this thing last night.

As memories return, she climbs out of the Box. Newt definitely no longer enjoyed her company. Will the rest feel as betrayed? Only because she knows the Glade is a safer place than anything else?

If the Grievers keep coming, though..

Once out of the Box, she looks around.

Everything has been destroyed. Huts have either completely burned down or knocked over by Grievers. The Homestead finally gave up standing. Her hut is destroyed. 

She walks over to it, attempting to swallow the lump in her throat away. Her chemicals, gone. Pillows, gone. Notebooks, gone. Clothes, gone.

It's just a mess. Wood stacked on top of each other and little hints of burned paper here and there.

The only thing that she assumes isn't ruined, are the Slammers. They're in the ground. And behind the Homestead, so not much Grievers would've tried to get there, she guesses.

Quickly, she makes her way to them. Maybe too quickly, because before she knows it, she has reunited with Camil, Minho, Newt, and Chuck.

They all stare at each other for a while. Then her eyes trail to the Slammer. Since they're sitting in front of it, someone must be in there.

"Don't bother," Minho says. "It's Thomas and Teresa. The ones who know how to escape, remember? Not very interesting for you."

Her jaw clenches. "Hey— do y'all seriously think I send those Grievers at you? Last night?"

"I think that's exactly what you did. Heard Thomas found a way out, and got pissed at us. Send them here."

Slowly, her jaw unclenches and it drops. "Minho, you've known me for a year and a half. I've known you for a year and a half. Why would I want to hurt you while we're friends? All of us?"

"Friends don't lie for over a year," Newt snaps. "We could've escaped such a long time ago."

"The outside world is destroyed! There's nothing left there to live for," she grunts. "Maybe you're wrong, too. If it's not an exit, you'll all die anyways. It's safer here."

"Not if the Grievers come out every day," Minho replies. "So stop them from doing so."

"After he," she motions at the Slammer, "killed one of them, I can no longer control them. Oh, you might've not been there, but Newt and Chuck saw what pain that caused me. I was out for three days. And when I woke, y'all suddenly figured a way out. Y'all got angry at me somewhat immediately while I was trying to understand, and not a single time, not once, did someone bother to even ask how I was feeling."

Camil and Newt share a glance before Newt speaks, "Okay. You're right about that. We could've asked how you were doing or if you still had pain."

"Please just hear me out first," she begs. "I swear, I'll tell everything. Since you're planning to escape anyways."

"Fine," Minho says. "But just so you know, Gally locked Thomas and Teresa up there. He took shucking lead. He's planning to banish us into the Maze."

"What about Alby, then?"