Chapter Thirteen A Bludger Kindly Bestows Upon Me A Lovely Bruise

"Don't be stupid." Cedric laughs good naturedly as I hurriedly rummage through my satchel. "You're too smart to have forgotten it."

"I know, I just know I have it." Finally, crumpled at the bottom of my bag, is my twelve inch long essay I worked all night on for Herbology. "I'm just really ti—" A yawn cut off my word, emphasising my point. "Hermione reminded me about it last night since I had forgotten." I explain, and attempt to smooth the parchment out.

Professor Sprout uses a spell that sent the essay floating out of my grasp, and I sigh. A line of essays march across the table, and Cedric laughs softly. "Granger? Isn't she a year below you?"

I nod wearily. "She's probably smarter than two of me, though."

Cedric laughs again, and I catch Fred glancing at me. That kind of awe-struck look he had when he saw me at Yule Ball night dominates his eyes when he looks at me, but another sort of look crosses over when he glances at Cedric.

I can understand someone being jealous of Cedric Diggory, with his good looks, popularity, stance on the quidditch pitch, and generally positive demeanour. But jealous because he's spending time with me?

I smirk at Fred and blow him a kiss, reminding him Cedric has no chance when he's a contestant. His cheeks darken, and his Hufflepuff Herbology partner, who's name I can not remember, nudges his arm and whistles. I blush as well, and focus on straightening my satchel.

I am glad I've become friends with Cedric. We might not talk much outside of the classroom, but he's a sweet bloke who's always willing to help me.

~~~~

A high pitched squeal causes me to bolt up from the textbook Hermione and I are studying. The second task was today, and I wonder if Lee is upset about how few bets we raked in.

"That would be Lee." I sigh, and slide off the bed. "I'll be right back, I'm just curious what went wrong." I say in reply to her giggle.

"Promise you won't be forever?" She asks.

"I promise."

"But if Fred's there you might." Hermione smirks and picks up a book from her nightstand, as if already accustomed to the idea I'll be taking a while.

"Rubbish." I smile as I trek down the hall to the boys dorm.

Without knocking, I enter the boys dormitory, only to find the three of them covered in a strange orange powder. I laugh and take in Lee's look of horror.

"What are you three doing?" I ask, confused about the setup. The three are crowded around a spewing cauldron, and the orange powder covers not just them, but practically everything else in the room. I notice hanging on the wall a picture I drew of the four of us for the twin's birthday on April Fool's Day and smile as I remember how proud I was.

"I worked really, really hard on this product." Fred whines, and his sad countenance makes me feel a bit distraught as well.

"I know," George sighs and rubs Fred's arm. "Freddie had been designing a new product for our prank business, and this one went terribly wrong."

Lee sighs as well and looks up at me, disappointment replacing his usual grin.

"I really did work quite hard." Fred says quietly.

"I'm sorry Freddie." I whisper, bending down beside him and wrapping my arms around his shoulders. His arm wraps around my waist as well, and I smile, pushing my blushing face against his arm.

"It's alright, Ria, it's not your fault." He consoles, and I look up and place a hand on his cheek. I'm the one that should be consoling him at the moment, not the other way around.