𝟎𝟗 || 𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝑳𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒅

"WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU'LL GET OUT OF HERE ALIVE?" Joshua Mason snickered, crossing his arms as he watched Lavender approach Evelyn

"WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU'LL GET OUT OF HERE ALIVE?" Joshua Mason snickered, crossing his arms as he watched Lavender approach Evelyn. The boy had led the careers right to her, and he didn't even seem remorseful. Lavender grinned, licking her lips as if she was a rabid dog looking at their next meal.

Evelyn gripped her spear, trying her best to fend off the career's attacks. Her heart was racing and the blades of grass under her were ripping into her skin, tearing her to shreds better than her opponent's knife ever could.

"Why are you trying to run," Lavender sneered, placing her boot on Evelyn's chest to stop her from going anywhere. Evelyn could see the other careers' silhouettes in the backgrounds, their knives, bows, and spears in their hands as they smiled maliciously.

Evan's voice rang through her head, "How weak are you? How do you die on the first day? How do you let the careers kill you so easily?"

Weak.

Pathetic.

Sad.

Her brother's cruel words continued to torment Evelyn as Lavender pointed the tip of her knife at her heart. This would be how she died. The last thing she'd see was Lavender staring down at her with cold and heartless eyes, and the millions of people around Panem would be watching. They'd realize she was nothing like her brother. The sponsors had misplaced her faith in her because they thought she'd be strong like him. They thought she could fight like him. Everyone had always said they were similar, so why did he survive his games when she couldn't even get past the first two days?

Evelyn Brinley was pathetic. She was glad her parents were dead, they wouldn't have to see this. What would they think? Would they be upset over the loss of their daughter or would they be upset over the fact she wasn't like Evan?

It didn't matter. Josie and Kente Brinley were dead, and Evelyn would soon join them. She took a deep breath, closing her eyes as Lavender prepared to strike a final blow. The whole country was watching, and Evelyn hoped they enjoyed the show. That was all this was to them; an entertaining show.

So, Evelyn didn't show fear as she sat on the ground and reached for her necklace, silently praying that her mom was there. The girl was so sure that her mom would've prevented this from happening. If Josie had been alive she would've protected both of her children from the horrors of the arena. It was a stupid thing to hope for, nobody could stop anyone from getting reaped, but it was a comfort to Evelyn in her final moments.

The last thing she heard was Joshua and Lavender laughing before she woke up in a cold sweat right as the career's knife pierced her heart.

The tribute had only been asleep for a few minutes, but that was enough time to make her panic. She needed to be alert, not dozing off. Fortunately, there were no tributes insight as her eyes scanned the dead plains. The hills were a decent hiding spot. It kept her hidden from people who were in the forest but as soon as someone got near enough they'd see her.