𝟑𝟏 || 𝑺𝒑𝒊𝒏 𝑴𝒆 𝑨𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅

I GET IT

I GET IT.

I get it.

That was what Evelyn told her brother. "I get it." The truth was, she didn't get it. She still had trouble looking Evan in the eyes as they crowded around Katniss. The girl was drawing a map, telling everybody about the clock and how the arena was laid out.

"This seems to be laid out like a clock with a new danger every hour, but they stay only within their wedge. It all starts with the lightning. Then the rain, fog, monkeys. That's the first four hours. At 10:00, that big wave hits from over there." Katniss told them.

"And the other six hours?" Evan asked.

Katniss pursed her lips, "I'm sure we'll find out."

"Tick tock," Wiress said again.

Finnick grinned, "Wiress, you're a genius."

The tribute smiled at him and walked to the water as she began to recite hickory dickory dock. Evelyn never liked that lullaby. Her mom had tried to tell her but it just freaked her out. She never cared for mice or rats. Mice were okay, but they reminded her of rats, and rats frightened her when she was smaller.

Peeta pointed to 12, "The tail points to 12."

"The lightning strikes the tree at noon and midnight," Katniss said.

"Strikes where?" Beetee asked.

"The big tree."

The man nodded and a small smile played at his lips, "Good."

"So 12 to one is lightning," Peeta said.

Evelyn nodded, "One to two is the blood, then the fog, then the monkeys."

"Then the wave at ten," Katniss continued, "What about everything else? Did you guys see anything?"

Johanna thinned her lips, "Nothing but blood."

"So as long as we stay away from the active sector we'll be safe," Evan pointed out, crossing his arms.

"Relatively speaking," Finnick muttered.

All the tributes went quiet, and there was a short, painful gasp behind them. Wiress's lullaby had stopped. Katniss was the first one to react, turning her head to the sound. Evelyn followed her gaze and saw Gloss holding Wiress, who had her throat slit open.

The group reacted immediately. They grabbed their weapons and prepared for the other careers as Katniss shot an arrow into the career's neck. Evan grabbed his knife, since Evelyn had taken the spear from the Cornucopia, and stood next to her. Both siblings stood quietly, straining their ears and waiting for the other careers to show up. Cashmere showed up next, her eyes widening for just a second when she saw her brother. Finnick and Peeta went after her, and Evelyn tried to join them but Evan grabbed her arm and gestured his head toward the other end of the island.