𝟐𝟕 || 𝑭𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝑳𝒊𝒏𝒆

"IT WAS A GOOD EFFORT, BUT GAMES ARE STILL ON," Bell told the group as she ran a hand through her hair

It was disappointing but expected. The Capitol hadn't called off the games in 74 years, there was no way a couple of crying victors and a supposed unborn baby were going to stop the quell. Snow had no issue with killing children, they knew that better than anyone.

Cass sighed, standing up and motioning for the two tributes to come over to her. "I'm pissed at you for wearing white at the interview, Lyn, but I understand it."

The escort smiled and squeezed Evan and Evelyn's hands, trying her best to be supportive the night before the games. Her eyes linger on Evan for a second, and Evelyn tried her best not to comment on it. It meant nothing. It had to mean nothing. Evelyn wanted her brother to be happy, but now wasn't the time for that. They had one goal in that arena tomorrow, and anything could be a distraction. That distraction could be the difference between life and death.

"I know I wasn't always good to you two," Cassandra said, "But you two were the best tributes I could ask for, and I promise I'll do whatever I can to help with the," she lowered her voice so any bugs couldn't pick it up, "rebellion once you're gone."

Evelyn saw Sasha tense up from the corner of her eye as if he expected peacekeepers to barge in and arrest them all. She understood his concern, Cassandra was risking everything just by saying it, but she couldn't bring herself to care as the escort pulled her and Evan in for a tight hug.

The two tributes looked at Sasha expectantly, but he just laughed. "What are you two expecting? I'll see you tomorrow. Or maybe later tonight. One of you won't be able to sleep, and I'm always out here."

"Thank you, I'm glad you love us so much," Evelyn said with a small smirk.

The mentor grinned and offered her a small salute, "Always at your service."

Sasha had been right about one thing. Evelyn couldn't sleep as she sat up and stared at the window. It wasn't a real window, the view was a screen, but it was still comforting to look at the desert or the forest. She never chose the industrial view. It wasn't comforting, and it reminded her too much of home. She didn't hate District 8, it was where she grew up, but she wouldn't choose to be born there if she had another chance.

She hated the smell of smog and the grey skies.

And she didn't want to be reminded of the place she'd never see again. The place where the girl had grown up. Where she'd last seen her parents.

It made Evelyn sick to her stomach.

A knock at the door broke Evelyn out of her sorrowful trance, and she turned to see Sasha peaking his head into the room. It was clear that he hadn't slept a wink yet, but he grinned at her before walking inside.