𝟑𝟑 || 𝑲𝒂𝒓𝒎𝒂

JOHANNA AND EVELYN FOLLOWED THE MOCKINGJAY DOWN TO THE BEACH

JOHANNA AND EVELYN FOLLOWED THE MOCKINGJAY DOWN TO THE BEACH. Johanna had the wire, slowly uncoiling it, while Katniss and Evelyn had their weapons at the ready. Of course, Katniss was looking for careers but Evelyn only had her weapon out so she could jump at Johanna's signal.

"Better hurry," Johanna muttered as the clicking noise came back. Bugs, which meant it was 11. "I want to put a lot of distance between me and that water before the lightning hits. Just in case Volts miscalculated something."

"I'll take the coil for a while," Katniss suggested, holding out her hands.

"Here," Johanna said, passing her the coil.

Evelyn watched as the girls exchanged their wires, but suddenly, while both of their hands were still on it, the wire sprang down and tangled itself around their wrists, the severed end ending up at their feet.

Johanna and Katniss looked at each other, and then Johanna looked at Evelyn. Evelyn nodded subtly in the girl's direction. All of them knew what this meant; someone had cut the wire.

Someone meaning the careers.

Brutus and Enobaria are peaking over the rocks, waiting for an appropriate time to strike. Katniss raised her bow, ready to let the arrow fly, when Johanna smashed the metal cylinder over her head. Katniss fell to the ground, a dazed look in her eyes as she tried to figure out what was happening.

Evelyn knelt down and covered Katniss's mouth as Johanna dug her blade into the tribute's skin. She was too dazed to thrash, which made the girls' jobs so much easier. She did let out a yelp of pain, but Evelyn quickly shushed her and tightened her grip on her mouth.

Once Johanna was done, she smeared the blood along Katniss's neck and stood up. "Stay down."

The careers were making their way down to the scene, and Evelyn could do nothing but hope the blood was enough to make them leave Katniss alone as she fled the scene with Johanna.

"What do we do now?" Johanna whispered.

Evelyn shrugged, "I'm going back to the tree, tell Beetee that the wire was cut."

Johanna nodded, "I'm going to stay here and wait for the careers, see if I can finish 'em off."

Evelyn knew her friend meant that she was going to make sure the careers didn't kill Katniss, but she couldn't say it like that. Snow would start getting suspicious if Johanna continued to actively protect Katniss, and the last thing they needed was Snow watching them closely.

She left Johanna standing there and made her way back up to the tree. It was too quiet, she didn't like the silence. The guys were supposed to be quiet to keep from attracting attention, but it was still far too quiet for them.

"Finnick? Evan?" Evelyn muttered as she turned the corner into the clearing where the tree was. Finnick and Peeta were nowhere to be seen, but she saw Beetee and Evan, and the sight made her want to throw up.