𝟐𝟒 || 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒈𝒔

"SO WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?" Evan asked as the two of them walked into the training center

"SO WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?" Evan asked as the two of them walked into the training center. Evelyn's eyes scanned the other tributes, and she couldn't say she was shocked by what she saw. Cashmere and Gloss were already at the knives, Johanna was swinging an axe around and giving Katniss looks, Beetee and Wiress were messing with sticks, and Peeta was talking with Brutus and Chaff at the spear station.

"I'm going to go talk to Loverboy," Evelyn said, nodding toward the District 12 tribute.

Evan pursed his lips. "So you're leaving me with Everdeen?"

"Why not? It'll be fun."

"I don't even want to do this, Lyn."

"Well, you're gonna."

Evelyn walked away before her brother had time to argue, but she could hear him muttering curses under his breath. The girl actually liked Loverboy. He seemed nice enough, and although she also somewhat liked Katniss, Peeta was easier to talk to.

Brutus had left to do whatever the career did, so Peeta was alone when Evelyn approached him. He moved on from the weapons and was back to painting, and he didn't look up from his work until Evelyn said his name.

"Hi," The boy said in a cautious tone.

Evelyn smiled. "Planning to disguise yourself as a rock again?"

"Only if I get stabbed in the leg again," Peeta smirked, "I don't really feel like losing both legs though."

"And I don't feel like losing both knees, we'll make an oath."

Peeta chuckled dryly before he started painting again, and Evelyn leaned against the wall and watched. She didn't have to worry about practicing, she didn't care. Everybody here knew what her skills were, so her training score didn't matter.

Loverboy turned back to her after a few minutes. "What about you, Lady Red? Planning on setting anyone on fire?"

"It all depends on how bored I am. Do you have siblings, Mellark? You certainly don't seem like an only child."

Peeta's face soured for a moment before he nodded. "Yep. Two brothers."

"Overage?"

"One is, yeah. The other one isn't."

Evelyn felt a pang of sympathy for the boy. It must have sucked, watching his district partner volunteer for her sister but nobody volunteered for him. She couldn't volunteer for her brother, she was 11 and a girl, but if she could she would've. Evan would've volunteered for her too, at least she hoped he would. She couldn't imagine someone who wouldn't volunteer for their own sibling, but she understood it at the same time. Blood only went so far when it came to reaping day, and there were very few people who would actually volunteer to save their family's ass.

Evelyn acted like she would've volunteered for Evan, but if she could she didn't know if she'd have the guts to go through with it.

"I know what you're thinking," Peeta interrupted the silence, "It's not a big deal. Katniss is brave, my brother is not."