𝟏𝟎 || 𝑰𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑾𝒐𝒐𝒅𝒔

THE FIRST THING EVELYN SAW WHEN SHE OPENED HER EYES WAS SUNLIGHT

THE FIRST THING EVELYN SAW WHEN SHE OPENED HER EYES WAS SUNLIGHT. The light was torturous after two days of clouds, and her eyes took a few minutes to adjust to her new environment. She was lying in the same spot, she could tell because of the red grass that was dyed with her blood and the tree trunk she had been sitting against. When her mind was functioning again she heard a low rustling noise and grabbed her spear. It sounded like an animal or a person trying to be extremely quiet, and she didn't want to be caught off guard if it was the latter.

As the tribute got up she noticed that her knee was wrapped, although it was already starting to bleed through the bandage and she was walking with a limp. But it was bandaged, she didn't bleed out.

The rustling noise got louder as she walked forward, and she saw somebody hunched over and digging through her backpack.

"What are you doing?" Evelyn snapped, pointing her spear at the tribute.

"I just saved your ass," Joshua retorted, standing up and throwing his hands up in the air.

Evelyn stood there for a moment, eventually lowering her spear and grimacing at the man, "What happened?"

"Damn, she messed you up bad if you don't remember," The tribute from 7 grinned, which only fed into Evelyn's frustration.

"I cut my knee on a rock, Lavender didn't do anything. What happened, Mason?"

"Defeated by a rock? Oh man, that's even better. Anyway, you were in trouble, the careers were ganging up on you, I swooped in and saved the day."

"Oh yeah, you killed Ismene right?"

"Yeah, you killed Trent."

Evelyn nodded and sat down on the ground, tossing a pebble she found up and down before speaking again, "How long was I out for?"

Joshua sat down next to her, staring off into the distance like he was lost in thought before answering, "Uhhh, four days, maybe?"

The girl had to stifle a gasp, "Four days? Who else is dead?"

"Well, the girl from 9, Adalina, I think. Ismene and Trent, obviously. The boy from 6, my district partner, and the girl from 12. So 6, 9, and 12 are completely out of the game now. Your district partner is still alive, so I take my words back."

Adalina must've been the girl the careers were bragging about killing when they snuck up on Evelyn. She didn't know when any of the other tributes died, but that meant nine tributes were left. Seven without Evelyn and Joshua.

"Did the gamemakers try anything?" Evelyn asked.

Joshua shrugged, "I think there was some sort of dust devil on the other side of the arena, but that's all I've seen so far. It didn't kill anyone, but it did throw some rocks around and completely rearrange the layout of the plains."

"Do you think they're going to use that later in the games?"

"I dunno, it's a new gamemaker. I have no clue what Sneca or Seneca or whatever the hell his name is has planned. He hasn't done anything too spectacular yet. I think he has something big planned for the finale."