Chapter three

I did as he asked, but instead of going inside and getting changed, I went into the bathroom to try and wash away the dirty feeling that Dave had left on me. Sitting in the bottom of the shower, I tried to wrap my head around things. How did that guy know that I was in trouble? I never screamed or anything, so how did he know? And what did he mean when I asked him if he killed him? I made a mental note to ask him if I ever saw him again.

After a shower, I went back to bed, not to sleep but to pretend I had never left. Blue stayed close the whole time. I could tell that he was hurting from where Dave had kicked him. I had a few bruises on me from how hard Dave had pushed me down onto the table. I ensured that the clothes I put on would cover them so no one saw them and would ask how I got them.

After about an hour I got up going downstairs to see if anyone was up. In the kitchen, Mum, Dad, and my brother jack were all sitting around the table eating breakfast.

"oh honey, I thought you had already left for work" " Mum said as she saw me walk through the door.

"I told today off."

I could see the puzzled look on her face. I never took days off because I never really got sick or anything. I think she could tell by the look on my face that I didn't want her to start with a million questions like she usually did. Instead, she just smiled at me. I walked over, poured myself a cup of coffee, leaning back on the bench.

The phone started to ring. Mum got up going to answer it.

"Hello"

"oh my, that's horrible", she gasped. "Yes, of course, I'll let her know, and I'll get my husband to drive her to the station immediately."

Jack looked over at me. "what did you do?"

I looked back at him, trying to give him a shocked look while shrugging my shoulders.

Mum hung up the phone, coming back into the kitchen. I already knew what she was about to say before she said it. It was written all over her face. Someone had found Dave. My heart started pounding in my chest. Why would they want me to go down to the police station? Surely, no one had seen me there. I held my breath, waiting for her to talk.

"There's been a terrible accident with your boss, and they need you to go down to the station to answer some questions," her voice was shaky.

I knew that I had to say something here, and I had to act like it was a shock. My heart was pounding in my chest, feeling like it was going to burst out at any second. A voice came into my head. "Stay calm; act like you know nothing. Ask if he's okay." The voice sounded familiar, and something about it calmed me down. I let out the breath that I had been holding.

"Is Dave okay?"

She shook her head. "I'm so sorry, darling, but he's dead."

I don't know if I did a good job at pretending like it was a shock to me or not, but I'm pretty sure they brought it. Dad drove me down to the station. I was so nervous that my hands were sweating. I was thankful, though, that my body just went into autopilot, taking over for me and getting me through it all. They asked me if I knew what Dave was like outside of work and if he had anyone that didn't like him. Then they let me leave. As I walked out, Sarah was out the front having a smoke.

Walking over to her, I could see that she was the one who had found him. As soon as she saw me, she threw her arms around me. "oh, it was horrible," she sobbed. "I went in cause the back door was wide open. I knocked on the office door, and there was nothing, but after about half an hour, it got the better of me, so I went in there" she paused for a second like she was relieving everything. "his head it was gone like it had exploded."