Prologue

Ava - age 16

"Can we please turn this shit off? Maybe listen to the radio?" Atlas groans from the passenger seat, dramatically covering his ears as I sing to Taylor Swift's new album Lover.

"No. We listened to your shit yesterday so shut up and sing. Please?" I pout, asking as nicely as I can.

My brother groans but doesn't complain after that as we pile into Connor's truck, watching the way the rain streams down the truck window, seeing which rain drop will drizzle down first.

Connor-my eldest brother-takes the turn out of the arena's parking lot smoothly, used to driving in the slippery rain.

All three of us had late practice today. Connor and Atlas play minor league hockey and both are currently being scouted. Everyone thinks they'll both be playing for the NHL in the next few years.

Our small community calls them The Van Lauren Twins. They aren't actually twins but when they're on the ice, everyone believes they have twin telepathy since they work so well together.

Stave Falls-our small town-absolutely loves my brothers with the amount of tourism they bring in.

I love my brothers. So fucking much. But because they are so successful and becoming big names known across Canada, I fade into the background.

I don't mind it. It's quiet and I'm left to myself.

My parents forgot about me the moment I was born. They didn't raise me like they raised my brothers. I was left to do that on my own. Our housekeepers were the only parental figure I had when I was younger but they forgot about me as well.

When Brayden and I won first at Nationals for senior pair freestyle?

They were both in California taking Connor and Atlas to Disneyland after they won some massive hockey game.

When Brayden and I came third at the World Championships?

They chose to stay home but we all know they just didn't want to come and watch.

I'm not exactly sure what I did to make my parents hate me.

Oh wait. I do. It's because I was supposed to be a boy but well...

My parents only wanted sons so they could take over the family business. I don't know what that business entails 'cuz I don't really fucking care.

I don't know what they sell. Never have asked and been too lazy to look it up. Doesn't really matter because I'm not getting it-not that I want it anyway.

For all I know, my parents could be running a massive drug front and if they ever did end up getting caught, I would sit on the front porch and wave goodbye.

A girl can only dream.

The truck jolts suddenly and I blink, glancing over to Atlas and then Connor. Connor's hands tighten around the steering wheel as the rain pounds harder against the truck, the windshield wipers moving so fast I'm sure they're about to fly off.

There's no street lights in our town so we're driving in pitch black, the Ford's headlights illuminating the small street as we chug along slowly.

I lean forward in my seat. "Hey, how was Tatum's last treatment?"

Atlas grimaces. "Wasn't great. She's getting weaker everyday and there's nothing I can do. I feel so helpless, watching her in so much pain."

Tatum is Atlas's girlfriend of almost three years. She was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months back and is currently undergoing chemo. The doctors are hopeful that chemo will be very effective in her case.