Chapter 17

Ava

"Fuck, I hate warmups." Brayden groans as we step onto the ice, waving to the crowd when our name is called.

I've always loved Nationals, the environment, seeing everyone from across Canada who I only get to see maybe two or three times a year during training camps and competitions along with the fact we get to help out with the younger skaters who are also from BC and Yukon since the two provinces merge most years.

This year, there are only three other pairs skating for the senior pair program, most of whom have come from Quebec or Ontario. Brayden and I are the only pair from BC this year who made it through trials, most of our team being made up of the younglings.

Thankfully, Nationals are in Richmond this year so we didn't have to stay in a crappy hotel for a week like we normally do.

"And yet you're still here, after all these years." I say, pushing forward with my legs until I've done a lap around the rink, pulling my arms over my head and behind my back, trying to stretch my shoulders out before Brayden and I do a run through of our program.

We warm up everything from our triple twist lift to our double toes, and I spend extra time on my biellmann before we're called off.

"Holy shit." Brayden murmurs and I glance back at him confused, following his line of sight.

Oh. My. Fucking. God. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is sitting just past the boards, claiming the first row of seating.

Noah and Allie, Maeve and Rhys, even Mike are sitting there. Tyler occupies the seat besides Cameron, who's holding Liam on his lap, both of them waving when they catch us staring. Kyla and Seth chow down popcorn beside Noah.

Both Allie and Cameron hold up signs-no doubt something Allie made considering the neat handwriting-waving them around and cheering. A laugh bursts out of me when I realize that the poster Cameron holds has both mine and Brayden's faces glued on it.

Cameron smiles almost proudly, locking eyes with mine. I can't remember the last time someone came and watched without me having to beg-Cooper and Delilah being the only exception so when my nose starts tingling with emotion, I look away.

"God, why did they have to choose that photo? I look so incredibly gay in that one." Brayden complains, squinting at Cameron's poster.

I roll my eyes. "Maybe because you are so incredibly gay?"

Brayden huffs. While we wait for our turn, Tatum bundles us with blankets so we don't get cold sitting around and waiting.

"God, I love your dress so fucking much." She gushes, obviously proud of our work.

We designed it together at the start of the season and I get compliments about it every competition we go. It's a light blush pink colour that hugs me perfectly before skirting out at my hips and stopping mid thigh. The sleeves are mesh, just like the V that travels between my boobs and stops just above my belly button, gems outlining the V shape.

Brayden wears simple black pants with a dress shirt that matches the colour of my dress, the top few buttons open. Tatum left it up to him to design his own outfit since he's extremely picky about it so we were both shocked when he chose something so simple. When asked why, he simply stated it offers easier access. To what? I don't want to know.

"Just do normal." Tatum whispers to me, squeezing my shoulders. I hand her my hearing aids, the only sound I can hear is the glide of the ice underneath my skates when Brayden takes my hand, whispering words of encouragement before we take our starting position.