Chapter 18

Ava

My parents approach us, holding themselves all posed and primp, and I assume they just came from court judging by their business attire.

The street lamps illuminate every slow march they step since my competition session was changed to the evening. How they found out about that change is beyond me.

"Ava?" Worry creeps into Cameron's voice but I can't move. Can't breathe.

My body goes rigid as I stare ahead, my mom's heels clicking with every step she takes closer. My stomach twists and turns and I hold back the vomit threatening to spill.

Mom smiles but it's forced and almost pained, directed at Cameron, stopping a few feet away from us.

I can see the exact moment Cameron recognizes them. His eyes flare before he steps in front of me slightly, grabbing my hand. He stands straight.

I have no idea what Cooper told him a few days ago but with the way Cameron's just as frozen as I am, I know he mentioned my parents.

Mom lifts her chin, eyeing me. Her red lips form a line, sniffing before a grin breaks out but again, it's cruel and calculated. Dad watches from the side, picking lint off his suit.

This is usually how it goes. Since mom is on the smaller side, dad lets her do all the talking until someone starts to push back, then he steps in, trying and failing to use his height to his advantage.

Good fucking thing Cameron has about three inches on him plus more muscle than he could ever fathom.

"Ava! My baby. You did so well out there today, though your form was sloppy and that dress is fucking horrendous." Mom grimaces, wrinkles forming around her lips.

"And it seems you've put on some weight since the last time we spoke. That's okay, I'll send you a meal plan that'll whip you into shape. Tuck in that belly."

She walks closer before she starts snapping her fingers at my lower half, poking and prodding before Cameron slaps her hand away. Mom holds in her gasp but I can see the war going on in her eyes.

I tuck myself closer into Cameron's side and he lets me, throwing his arm around my shoulder.

He tugs my hand, trying to walk around them before dad steps in front of us, my mom blocking our path even more. I see Cameron look around and I know if there weren't this many families and kids around, he would-

"It's so nice to meet you, Cameron. I'm Hudson and this is my wife, Meredith." My dad offers his hand to Cameron but he doesn't make a move to take it, just stares blankly at him. Dad startles at the dismissal.

"It seems Ava here has been hiding you away from us." Mom gives me a long look, hiding her scoff at just the sight of me. "We can look past that though, can't we Hudson?"

Dad nods and I hate the way they're looking at me. It's like when they met Xander all over again and I fucking hate how I'm not strong enough to stand up to them. I hate it so fucking much how weak I am.

So fucking weak.

I'm vibrating-shaking-against Cameron who just tucks me in tighter, his lips finding the top of my head for a moment before he levels my parents with another look.

"Oh, don't be such a brat, Ava. We raised you better than that." Mom clicks her tongue, examining her long nails for a moment. "What bullshit have you been spewing to Cameron that has him keeping you tucked away from us like that?"

Neither of us reply because in all honesty, I haven't said a word to Cameron about them. Not really, anyway.

Mom holds an eye roll back, closing the gap between us. She reaches for the skirt of my dress that pokes out from under my shirt and before I can comprehend what she's about to do, she rips it.