Chapter 5

Ava

Today has been absolutely awful.

When I woke up this morning, I had four missed calls and over a dozen texts from my mom which just means she wants to tell me about how worthless of a daughter I am since we haven't spoken in four months.

This is usually how it happens. Mom or Dad will call, find something to blame on me while simultaneously bringing up how I'm at fault for Atlas's death and then go silent for months at a time until they feel the need to do it all over again.

They also bring up Connor and how proud they are of him, being in the NHL and making a name for himself. Blah, blah, blah.

I haven't spoken to my brother in almost six months. I tried to call everyday the first four and then again on his birthday but he never picked up so I stopped.

I know if Atlas was here, he would love me. He would love me so much. Like how a brother should. And he wouldn't shun me away like Connor has. He wouldn't be embarrassed of me.

My family doesn't love me. I learned that the hard way a long time ago.

There can be loneliness that comes from that.

But I've found people who are enough and everything.

"Ava?" Delilah's voice breaks through my thoughts, her gentle hand landing on my shoulder. "There's a boy here that would like to see you. He claims to be your favourite roommate?"

I frown. Favourite roommate? Ohhhh.

Why is Cam here to see me?

"Okay. I'll go see what he needs." I sigh, placing the unmarked books off to the side. I've been working in the back of the store for hours, my legs sore from today's practice.

Pushing the wooden door open, I walk cautiously through the store, smiling at the odd customer as I pass them.

I fiddle with the hem of my pink sundress, the ruffled material swaying around my knees as I near the front desk.

Cameron stands there in grey sweatpants (my downfall) and a black hoodie, his loose sandy curls rumpled all over his head.

Fuck, why does he have to look so good?

He doesn't notice me until I clear my throat and I bite my lip, hoping that I don't turn into a tomato as I watch his eyes take in my outfit slowly.

"A dress in the middle of February? That takes a lot of courage." His tone is playful, his lips curving into a smile.

I smile alongside him. "Of course. What else am I supposed to wear in three degree weather?"

Cameron laughs softly but it sounds forced, like something's weighing on his mind. His eyebrows are drawn in slightly creating creases along his forehead and his head is bowed forward in a way that concerns me.

He's usually so full of jokes and sunshine so to see him looking as grey as the weather outside, it breaks my heart a little.

Hesitation swarms me for moment."Cameron? Are you okay? Is there anything I can do to help you feel better?" I whisper, grasping his forearm and looking up slightly to meet his eyes.

I'm 5,8 so he must be at least 6,3 and with his head bowed, our heads are close. Very close. I take a small step back.

His Adam apple bobs when he swallows and looks away, searching the store like it will answer all his questions.

"I need to ask you something. But I was wondering if you could show me around first?" He sounds so unsure of himself and I have no idea why.

Seeing how uncomfortable he is with whatever he's pondering, I smile, excited he wants a tour of what became my second home years ago. "Of course. Let me show you around."