Chapter 20

Cameron

Ava pats my cheek, a weak giggle slipping from her lips. Her eyes are hazy and glossed over from the alcohol, her cheeks flushed.

"Let's go home, shall we? I have a new vibrator at home that's calling my name." She mumbles, leaning closer into my chest.

Vibrator? The fuck is happening? Ava continues to mumble to herself, eyelids drooping closed as she leans fully against me.

After I pay her tab, I shuffle her outside, pausing when she sways.

I've seen this girl land fucking twists and jumps on one skate but now she's stumbling around like someone severed her fucking feet.

The team got home just this evening from Michigan, bringing home two wins. I had just started unpacking when Allie called me all frantic, asking if I could come and pick up Ava.

Apparently Allie also called Rhys and Seth 'cuz Maeve and Kyla were also drunk as fuck. Noah was just there to see the wreckage. And pick up Allie. Obviously.

I'm glad she did call because seeing Ava like this is scary. I have no idea why tonight of all nights she decided to go out and get wasted like this but I want to be there if she ever chooses to do it again.

"Why were you out drinking, sunshine?" I ask, maneuvering her closer to the bushes outside of Shaw's when she starts throwing up.

Ava just huffs, waving me off. I raise an eyebrow at her sudden sass.

"How much have you had to drink?"

Her lashes flutter as she wipes her mouth, straightening. "Dunno. Few shots. Maybe some beer? Lost track."

"Not much of a drinker, are you?" I've never seen her even take interest.

"What gave that away?" She snips, turning towards the bushes once more.

I sigh, going over to rub her back but freeze, remembering what she said about it being too overwhelming. I hold her curls back instead until she exhales, a single tear leaking.

"Good?" She just nods, paling. I'm not so convinced.

"Here. Let's sit down for a second." I lead her slowly onto one of the wooden benches outside Shaw's, toying off my hoodie and helping her slip her own arms through when she starts to violently shiver.

"Thank you." She mumbles, turning her face away from me.

The light over our head flickers, illuminating the dark street. People filter in and out of the bar, drunk as fuck as they fumble around, tripping over their feet.

I tuck Ava into my side when a group passes us, glaring at them when they pause and stare before moving on.

When her head lolls against my shoulder, I wrap my arm around her waist in hopes she stops shivering.

"You think-" I pause as she dry heaves. "You can walk home now?"

"Guess we'll find out." She says, standing before teetering into me. I grab at her waist again, ignoring the way her nails dig into the sleeves of my tee.

Ava smiles sadly, softly, almost peacefully. Her eyes close, tilting her head back so it's towards the black sky, the city blocking the stars out.

"He's really gone, Cameron. Really, really, gone." She whispers, dimmed eyes finding mine. Her blue eye is never as bright as her green, but today they both look dull.

"Who's gone, sunshine?"

"Atlas. He's gone. He would have been twenty-four today, you know?"

That damned weight drops again, but I ignore it because it can't be anywhere near the pain she's feeling right now. "I'm so sorry, Ava. Will you tell me about him?"