Chapter 4

Cameron

I stared at Ava the whole time last night.

I watched the way she laughed and how she smiled at everyone, watching me with disgust when Mike and I would say dumb shit.

The thing is, I didn't even realize that I was staring at her most of the time. I caught myself many times doing it and Ava even sent weird looks my way whenever she caught me.

I don't remember anything the group talked about 'cuz I was too busy dissecting and piecing Ava back together.

"Wyatt!" Coach Miller yells. "My office! Now!"

Oh shit. What the fuck did I do this time?

I skate sheepishly off the ice, shrugging to the guys when they ask why Coach wants my ass. I can see Ava out of the corner of my eye watching me with a curious face, probably wondering what the hell is happening.

I've been pretty good. I think. I've been keeping up with my homework-my grades are probably in the shits though-and I've been working hard in practice, granted I have been playing tag once in a while with Tyler when we're supposed to be running drills. And hide-and-seek. I love that game.

When I knock on Coach's door, he's sitting in his chair with Noah leaning against the wall behind him with his arms crossed, no emotion on that pretty face of his. Even the media lady is here.

"Cameron. Take a seat." Coach gestures to the chair in front of his desk and now I'm getting slightly concerned. Am I getting kicked off the team? Suspension?

The media lady-Jennifer-clears her throat. "There have been some...issues with how the media is portraying you lately."

My face twists. "And? The media is always running scandals.They latch onto us like we're titties or something."

Coach holds back a smile while Jennifer grimaces. "They latch onto you like titties because you're in the best division one hockey school in Canada and are playing with many players known worldwide for their talent." She gestures to Noah.

"So, what you're saying is that this is all Noah's fault?" I stand, brushing my pads off. "There you go. Problem solved. Noah, sorry to say this but you are in big, big trouble. I wish you and Allie all the best-"

"-Sit down, Cameron." Coach barks. I pout but do what I'm told.

Jennifer rolls her eyes at me. "What I was saying is that since you are a player that is becoming more noticeable to the NHL, the media has dug up some dirt. Bad, bad dirt on you."

"Oh shit, did they find out where I stashed that body a few years ago? Damn, I buried it so well but it was actually Tyler who pulled the trigger so..." I smirk.

Jennifer glares. "Worse."

I raise a brow. "The train I crashed?"

"No."

"The private plane I stole and keep in my apartment?"

"Worse."

"The elementary school I burnt down?"

Jennifer thinks about it for a moment. "Even worse."

I throw my hands up in the air, scoffing. "How can anything be worse than the school I burnt down? With the math teacher still inside?" I'm not a monster. I made sure all the kids and staff were safe. Just happened to forget about the math teacher who was still stuck inside.

Coach clears his throat which sounds very similar to a laugh. "They've found out how much you like to sleep around."

I'm still so confused. "Okay but what does this have to do with me?"

Jennifer snorts. "The media is making it look like you don't care about hockey. At all. And that you're using your position on this team for popularity and status around campus and if scouts find out that you're not serious about this sport, then guess what? You're not getting drafted."

Oh shit. "But-but I love hockey. I-are you kicking me off the team?" My voice is harsh.

For them to even suggest that I don't care about hockey is...hockey was all I had when I was growing up. It made foster care so much more bearable. It was my escape. The only thing I had that wouldn't be ripped away from me in mere seconds.

"No." Noah says sharply. "All that Coach and Jennifer are saying is that we have to find a way to get the media to see you in a more positive way. Let them see the actual you. Not this person they've made you out to be."

"Well, how do you suggest that?"

The media has made me out to be this totally different person-one who's obsessed with drinking and having sex-just because they've seen me leave bars with a chick hanging off my arm once or twice. Yes, I've hooked up more than a few times since coming to WCC but more than half the team does it. If I'm being slapped on the wrist for this, why aren't they?

Jennifer raises a brow. "Are you seeing anyone? Like seriously?"

Noah snorts. I give him the finger. "No. Not at the moment."

Jennifer pierces her lips together, rubbing them back and forth. "That would be the best option. Then the media would see your in a serious relationship and are committed to them and hockey and they would turn their attention elsewhere."

Well, that's fucking impossible. I've never once been known to commit to anything-besides this school and my team. My team means everything to me. The people on my team are the closest thing I've ever had to any sort of family.

They welcomed me without any thought, challenged me like never before.

No one should ever have to ask for love and it seems they knew I never received any as a child.

Ava suddenly pops into my head. I wonder how loved she was when she was growing up or was she pushed to the side like I was, a major inconvenience at best. Maybe we both waited and waited for someone, anyone to look at us for more than two seconds but it just never happened.

With the team, I'm part of the team. I'm not an inconvenience. I'm not an object. I'm a person. With fucking feelings.

If I lose the team well...well who the fuck am I?

I clear my throat, twisting my hands in front of me. "I'll figure something out. I'll get it under control."

Somehow.