Chapter 14

Cameron

Ava is arguing with our professor.

That's the first thing I see when I walk into our Econ class this morning.

I've attended this class maybe three or four times-most of it I can do online-but then I remembered Ava actually does so I decided I suddenly wanted to start coming more.

Professor Brown and Ava are standing at the front near the boards, Ava's eyes laser focused onto the ground while Brown lays into her about something.

Everyone's focused on the argument, the class dead silent. Professor Dickhead shakes his head, snapping at her again.

What the fuck?

Throwing my bag onto an empty seat, I make my way towards the front-is she crying?

Professor Brown-I still prefer Dickhead-blinks at me with his beady little eyes. Ava jolts when I come up beside her, glancing at me with wide eyes before quickly turning her head away and wiping her eyes.

She is fucking crying.

Professor Dickhead smiles at me like he wasn't just snapping at Ava. "Ah, Mr. Wyatt. I see you've finally joined us today." He gestures to Ava with his chin. "Now that you're here, would you mind escorting Miss Van Lauren to her seat so I can get on with my class?"

Ava's head snaps up. "But-"

"Miss Van Lauren. I have told you many times now that just because you are failing my class, does not mean you can try and use your last name to pass." Dickhead says, looking at Ava through bushy grey eyebrows.

"I'm simply asking for more hands-on instructions. Please. I can't learn anything from the slides and videos you give us." Ava cries, bottom lip trembling.

Shit, that does something to me. Seeing her cry like that.

"What the hell is happening?" I ask, grabbing Ava's hand and squeezing when I see that her thumbs are bleeding from her picking at them so much.

Dickhead sighs in relief. "Miss Van Lauren-"

"Not from you." I snap, not caring if I get kicked out of this stupid fucking class.

Her bottom lip trembles again, eyes red and puffy with unshed tears. I hold the urge to punch Professor Dickhead. She looks at me, her hand that's not captured in mine rubbing against her jeans. "You're not gonna get mad at me?"

I think my heart just shattered a little. I rub my thumb against hers. "I'm not going to get mad at you, sunshine. I promise."

"I've been asking for more hands-on material for months-ever since Professor Godwin went on maternity leave since I have a hard time with the slides and videos because of-of my...ADHD but Professor Brown says I'm making it up." Her head dips in what looks like shame and embarrassment.

Professor Dickhead opens and closes his mouth, his face turning beet red. "I've simply been stating that she can not flaunt her last name in hopes of a chance she will pass."

"I haven't been doing that." Ava says weakly, like she thinks no ones going to believe her.

I know absolutely nothing about ADHD and the guidelines as a teacher you have to follow when you have a student with the learning challenge but I'm hoping I sound like I know shit. "If we went to her counsellor right now, and had him look at her file, would it or would it not show she has ADHD? And as her professor, are you not told about it in advance and asked to work with the students' needs?"

Dickhead is fuming but I honestly don't give two shits. How fucking dare he think Ava's making something like this up? Ava's frozen beside me, her chin still shaking.