Chapter 11

Cameron

Yesterday, 6:48 P.M.

Unknown - Hey, is this Cameron Wyatt? I know this might sound crazy but I think you might be my younger brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never answered the text I received yesterday, just glanced at it thinking it was spam or shit but I now know someone is playing a very cruel joke on me.

I know it's not true-oh shit. What if it is? I never knew who my parents were and if I did have any siblings, I've never cared to dig that deep and learn about the people who abandoned me.

But what if I wasn't the only one abandoned? What if I had three or four siblings out there and I would never know because I never looked? What if this unknown person was actually my older brother? A simple ancestry test would give me all the answers.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

And Ava. I royally fucked up with Ava yesterday.

She asked me the simplest question about my family and I snapped, my mind still focused on that stupid text I got minutes before.

Ava was so excited about the bouquets and the tiny baskets and I ruined it all for her. Her face was in a permanent smile, cheeks flushed with excitement until I brought up her parents.

It was supposed to be a simple night out after she had been gone for over eight hours, training and working. And she was already so reluctant about someone actually wanting to take her out on a date.

The way she looked at me with hidden horror, lips parted and eyes wide, tears brimming her eyes that wanted to brim over so badly.

But she fought them and stood with confidence, telling me she would be there to listen if I ever needed to talk.

I had just upset her and she was worried about me.

After she left, I waited a moment before paying for both of our flowers and texted Mike to let me know when she got home safe. I went to the arena after that. Our janitor was still there so he just let me in, warning me to lock the doors behind me on my way out.

I was there for over three hours. Doing what? I can't remember. Lots of stick work and thinking.

Both Ava and I have today off from training and since most of the guys on our team made sure not to have classes on our off days, Rhys and I have been lounging on the couch for a couple hours.

I asked him to come over as soon as he could so he showed up with coffee and doughnuts for everyone just after eight, but Ava and Mike haven't left their rooms yet.

"Do you think he could be your actual brother?" Rhys asks, taking a large sip.

I shrug, running my hand down my face. "I don't know. I never knew who my parents were so I could have multiple siblings out there, right?"

Rhys rolls his eyes. "How about we start with just this one brother first before we jump to three or four? If he was actually your older brother, wouldn't you want to meet him? Give him a chance?"

"But what if it's just a joke? A prank?"

"But he used your full name, right? And how would he know that you don't already have an older brother?"

I give him a bored look. "Anyone who watches hockey and goes to our school knows my full name, Rhys."

He leans back into the couch, popping a doughnut into his mouth. "Yeah, that's true. But what if he's just as desperate for a family, Cam? Just as desperate to find his little brother?"

I swallow, my hands shaking. "Do you think I should text him back? Sit down and talk with him?"

Rhys thinks about it for a long moment before nodding. "Watching Maeve and Liam...let's just say that if my parents had some secret baby that they hid from me for sixteen years -or even a step sibling- before or after I went into care, I would do everything I could to have a relationship with them."

I clasp my hands together. "But what if he doesn't like me? Doesn't like his brother?"

Rhys gives me a sad smile. "Cam, you are so easy to like. He would be an idiot not to."

I grin. "Are you finally proclaiming your love for me?" I shake my head in mock disappointment. "Noah will be so pissed-"

Light footsteps down the hall have me breaking off and looking over my shoulder at Ava, pink and white plaid pajama bottoms and an old Zone Three sweater on.

Her eyes are still hazy from sleep as she latches onto Rhys. "Hey, Aves. How you doing?"

"Rhys! I have those bags of old clothes from Delilah and Cooper. They should fit Liam so I'll grab them." She says, talking a smidge loudly before scurrying down the hall and coming back holding three recycling bags of clothes.

Rhys smiles. "He'll love them." He says slowly, and I glance at him, eyebrow riased. When she turns her back for a moment, he taps his ear.

How the fuck had I not noticed she wasn't wearing her hearing aids? Can she hear without them or just small sounds? I've seen her react to sounds whether she's wearing them or not so maybe she has partial hearing?

Ava glances at me for a second, smiling softly and nodding at me before snatching a doughnut and taking the coffee Rhys hands her.

"Well, I'm gonna get going. Cam, let me know what you decide, yeah? I'll support you fully either way." Rhys grabs the children's clothes and exits after he hugs Ava who gives me a puzzled look.

Ava, sighing softly and plopping herself down on the other end of the couch, gestures to the TV and I nod slowly, unsure of how she can even bear to look at me.

She puts on some show called Love is Blind but I'm too distracted to watch. "Hey, Ava?" I tap her arm and she turns to me with a raised eyebrow.

My hands start to shake, and I grimace, looking down but then remember she needs to be able to see my lips. "I want to apologise. For lashing out at you yesterday for absolutely nothing. You simply asked me a question-the most basic question- and I hurt you. I'm sorry-"

"It's fine, Cam. But-" She breaks off, sighing, squeezing her eyes shut before observing me again. "Whatever happened to your parents, I'm sorry that they made you live through whatever you have lived through. But just know that because I have parents who are still here, in my life, does not mean that I want them to be. It does not mean I want to be their daughter."

She spaces out for a moment and I wait quietly. "Abuse comes in many forms and with the way you reacted yesterday, I'm going to say we've both lived through many types. Look at Maeve and her dad. Just because he is there, does not mean she wants him around so I'm asking you not to make any more assumptions about my family and where I grew up. If I could have left home at five months, Cam, I would have. So do not think I had some plushy life because I grew up in a mansion. Just because it was a house, does not mean it was a home."

"I won't. I promise. And I'm really sorry I did, sunshine."

"I know you are. All is forgiven."

But with the way she's tense and can hardly look at me, I think otherwise. And I realize we're back to square one-where she's uncomfortable and shy and I can only blame myself.

I give her a small smile. "I left your flowers on the counter for you. They look awesome."

She nods slowly, glancing at them. "Thanks." She stands, brushing her hands up and down her pajamas. "I'll see you later. I've got a book date I'm running late for so..."

I laugh, hoping that date is much better than the one yesterday. "See you later, Ava."