Chapter 12

Ava

As I had told Cam, that dude at the front of the floral shop was taking photos of us. He luckly left before any mentions of our family were brought up but he still got plenty of candid shots of the both of us together.

The college radio station has been eating those up along with a few NCAA blogs and minor news stations who will and have already mentioned the fact that Cam is now currently off the market.

Half the articles that have already been done based on those photos are run by D1 hockey fans and would usually mean nothing since they are so insignificant but since Cam is one of those players that scouts have been looking at since high school, the articles are blowing up.

Most of them don't know who I am but with a quick search of my last name, they seemed to have latched onto me now. They've found every title I've won for figure skating, who my brothers are and parents-even Brayden is mentioned in some since we've won nationals many times together since the age of ten.

And with nationals coming up in a few weeks, everyone expects Cameron to be there. I haven't asked him yet but everyone would be disappointed if he wasn't.

My phone has been blowing up with texts. My parents, Connor, Maeve. People I haven't spoken to in years now trying to act like my friend.

I've only responded to Maeve and confirmed we are in fact dating. She was more than ecstatic and happy for me and made me promise we would speak more about it in person.

The only one who hasn't texted is Allie and I'm so happy she hasn't. She understands that's not what I need right now-especially since I've had more than two hundred DM's on Instagram in the past three hours that I have no plan on responding to- and being a two time Olympic gymnast, she must understand the constant media.

But people have found out I train at the same rink as Cam and now there's half a dozen people with cameras watching our practice since it's a college rink.

"I don't think I can do this, Tatum." My voice wavers as I try not to look at them but the constant flashing is bothering. Someone called security so they should be here soon but still. I just want to train.

Tatum nods, turning my back to them. "Okay. What about just a simple run through with music? Just to work more artistry?"

I should be used to cameras with both my parents being fancy ass lawyers known across the country and with my brothers being my brothers and everything but this is different.

This time, I'm under the spotlight, waiting for me to mess up so they can use it against me.

"We need to do the routine. Nationals is next month-"

"I don't give a shit about nationals right now. You're uncomfortable right now and that's not going to help you be the best you can be. We only have thirty more minutes so why don't we just go work some dryland?"

Brayden nods encouragingly but another light flashes and I squeeze my eyes shut.

Headlights. The ringing in my ears. Atlas dying in my arms-

"I have to get off the ice." I gasp, pushing away from Tatum forcefully and all but sprinting off the ice.

I trip into the gate, unlatching the lock with shaky hands and throwing on my guards before running down the narrow hallway and into the changeroom.

You're okay. You're okay.

I should have finished that book last night. Should I have tacos tonight? No, I had those a few nights ago. Or was that-no, I should make waffles. Yes! Waffles! Homework. No, I just wanna watch Netflix. Nationals is next month but wait, I have that dinner next weekend with Cam's team. No, that's this weekend.