Chapter 6

Ava

I've been at Shaw's for close to two hours now.

Maeve and Kyla sit across from Allie and I, still sipping on their first margarita.

I've only met Allie and Kyla a handful of times and when I did, they've both been wrapped around their boyfriends. Well, I'm ninety nine percent sure Kyla is dating Seth but with the way she flirts with everyone, I'm not so sure.

Kyla's a lot like Maeve-both loud and carefree about what other people think of them.

The two of them are laughing so hard there's no sound coming from them, both their faces red as they grip each other's shoulders, leaning over the table as Kyla continues to spit out nonsense.

I know they aren't drunk. But other people could be fooled.

Allie sits quietly beside me, looking around the bar with a bored expression.

We all got ready together at Maeve's apartment, Maeve and Kyla in matching black dresses that barely cover their ass and me in my favourite pink dress, silky light pink hanging low off my front but hitting my knees.

Maeve tried hard to get Allie in a dress but Kyla eventually snapped and said no when Maeve kept pestering her. I personally think Allie looks great in her jeans and tight green top, her blonde hair cascading down her back in slight waves.

I like Allie a lot. She's the quietest of the group but she has this warm aura around her that I can relate to. Besides Tatum and Maeve, she's becoming one of my closest friends despite only having met her three or four times.

"Where did Rhys and Liam end up going on their little date?" Kyla asks, golfing down her fries.

"Rhys took him bowling and then they were going to go to Stanley Park so they could bike around a little." Maeve pops one shoulder.

Kyla swoons. "Aww, you need to let that man impregnate you, Maeve. He would make such a good Dad-already is." She points at Allie who's playing with her salad. "And you. Don't pretend I don't see you hiding over there. You also need to let that man stuff you with little tiny babies."

Allie chokes, wiping her face with a napkin before glaring at Kyla. "You know we're not having kids. Let Seth stuff you with your own."

Kyla huffs, sinking back into her chair. "Fine. The three of us can make you the cool aunt then."

"The three of us?" I sputter.

Kyla grins, her eyes shining with mischief. "Of course. I could see you and Cam having, like, three or four kids."

My jaw drops, eyebrows flying to my hairline. Maeve snorts, pushing Kyla's shoulder. "Leave the poor girl alone, Ky. Stop being the matchmaker. And it's your turn to pay."

Kyla throws her hands up. "Fine, fine. I'll go pay the fucking bill." She grumbles, throwing her chair back and stomping to the front.

We all gather out things, waiting at the exit for Kyla to come stomping back.

"You sure you don't want a ride? It's like a five minute drive." Maeve offers.

I shake my head, the cool air refreshing as it hits my face. It might be a little dark outside but this is Vancouver so there's plenty of light flooding the streets. "That means it's only a ten minute walk. I'm fine. See you guys later?"

Maeve and Kyla nod, saying their goodbyes. Allie pauses, hugging me tightly before she jogs after the other two.

The walk home is like any other walk in Vancouver. Other people walk all around me, horns blaring and sirens loud enough you can hear from blocks away.

After the accident, I've never trusted being in a vehicle. I'll drive with Tatum and Brayden if I have to for competitions but I usually have a panic attack or two.

I think it would have been different if Atlas hadn't died. I would have gotten my driver's licence and I would feel comfortable being in a car.

But he did die. Right in front of me. In my arms. So I avoid cars like a plague.

I've been walking around the city since I was young-maybe nine or ten, even younger probably-so walking has become like a sixth sense for me.

It was an escape from the rink, escape from my parents, escape from Atlas. But I don't think of it as an escape anymore-especially since I don't have parents anymore and I've tried to bury all thoughts about Atlas when he was buried-wherever the fuck that is.

Tatum doesn't know either, which is heartbreaking to think about considering they knew each other since they were in their early teens.

Connor knows but since I haven't spoken to him-like actually spoken to him since I was sixteen-I don't bother with him anymore. I do not consider him my brother anymore.

People might think I'm being harsh. But I honestly don't give two fucks anymore since he doesn't give any fucks about me either.

Huffing, I jam my key in the door, rattling it around until the lock clicks. I drop my keys in the dish and toe off my shoes, sighing when I hear Cam and Mike yelling at the TV.

"Come the fuck on. Stop it. Mike! Ha, take that-fuck! Mike, stop shoving me! Fuck! You just killed me! You just fucking killed me!" Cam howls, slapping Mike with the controller.

Mike looks totally unfazed, shrugging his shoulders as they move onto the next round even as Cameron continues to slap him.

Cameron glances over his shoulder at me, doing a double take and giving me a goofy grin before his eyes widen. "Oh shit. Were we being too loud? We'll be quieter." He nudges Mike. "Right? I swear you're always yelling and shit."

Mike glares at him silently, giving him a look that says really? I need to be the quiet one?

Cam rolls his eyes, patting the cushion beside him. "Wanna play? We're playing Gang Beasts."

I do have a new enemies to lovers romance sitting on my bed but I guess that can wait. "Sure. I'd love to."

Cam grins, standing and grabbing the extra controller that's charging by the TV and hands it to me before plopping down beside me. Holy shit, he's close.

"It's an easy game. Basically you just try to push the other person off whichever obstacle you choose." Cam explains and I nod along like I've never played it before.

Cam leans over me and I freeze, his hand grasping mine that holds the controller. His touch is warm, delicate. "This button allows you to jump-"

"Thanks Cameron, but I've got it from here."

He frowns and Mike raises a curious brow. I grin.

And I continue to smile and laugh throughout the half hour, especially when I beat the two of them in all five rounds.

Cam bitches and whines, stomping his right foot every time he loses. Mike laughs along with me, calling Cam a baby every few seconds.

"You need a pacifier?" Mike asks.

"Maybe. But how the fuck are you winning this much? You have a cheat sheet hiding somewhere?" Cam gapes, dramatically searching around me.

I laugh. "I had brothers growing up."

They both nod like that explains everything. "No shit. How many?" Mike asks, concentrating on the TV. He starts another round and I focus on the screen like my life depends on it.

I swallow. "Just one." The lie slips out effortlessly. So fucking easy. Mike nods, oblivious to the way my hand shakes.

Cameron's eyebrow raises, eyes narrowing with pierced lips because he knows I'm lying.

I'm just trying to figure out which brother I'm leaving out.

A pounding at the door has me blowing out a breath of relief, especially when Cameron's eyes stop searching me when he heads for the door.

"How's it going?" Cam asks smoothly to whoever stands there.

Mike gives me the finger when I beat him. I stick my tongue out.

"Yeah, I'm looking for Ava. Connor said she lives here?"

Oh shit.