Chapter 13

Cameron

"It's okay to be nervous, Cameron. You're allowed to be nervous." Ava tells me as we wait in line at Waves, my right foot tapping the floor.

I've tried really hard not to think about the fact that I could have a brother since I got the text but it's hard not to picture that you may have a brother after thinking you don't have any family your whole life.

My stomach feels like a fucking brick-and not the good kind right before your about to blow-but the kind where your feel so sick your hands shake uncontrollably and you can't stop moving on the spot-

"Hey, you guys. What can I get you?" Maeve asks from behind the counter, eyes narrowed like always.

Glaring right back at her, I order. "Could I just have a coffee? Ava? What would you like?" I glance down and smile at her. She beams right back at me.

Ava looks gorgeous today.

It's the first time since I've met her where her hair is fully down, tightly sprung curls running over her shoulders and hitting just before her mid back.

And her fucking eyes. Gah. The blue one is dark, a dark shade of indigo while the green one is light. Almost mossy.

"-and two slices of chocolate cake? Thanks Maeve." Ava smiles, leaning so close to me our shoulders press together so that she can see the dessert case besides us.

I raise an eyebrow. "Two? One of those better be for me."

"Of course. Gotta make sure you're in pristine condition for when you guys make the Frozen Four."

I groan. "And you just jinxed it."

Ava shrugs, taking the slices of cake with a giddy expression, practically skipping over to a booth in the corner. "Grab our drinks."

"Yes, ma'am." Nodding, I grab them and sit with Ava, leaving a good distance between us. I don't want her to be more uncomfortable than she probably is with this situation.

We got to Waves early, so he should be here any minute but I realize I didn't even ask for his fucking name when we texted. Such a fucking fool.

A small hand grasps mine over the table, stopping the tapping I was doing with my fork. Ava's thumb rubs intricate circles against mine.

"Breathe, Cam. It'll be okay. I'm right here." She squeezes my hand again. "I'm pretty sure he's walking towards us."

My head snaps up and holy fucking shit. This dude, maybe two or three inches shorter than me, is stopped at our table, the same nerves I'm feeling written all over his face.

"Cam?" I nod, standing and shaking his hand. "Holy shit, you're actually real." He sputters, taking the bench across from us.

"So-I didn't catch your name." I manage to say. Ava continues to rub circles on my thumb.

The dude's eyes widen, clearly frazzled. "Oh shit. Quinn. Quinn Eden." He glances at Ava. "And you must be his girlfriend or...?"

Ava nods shyly.

Quinn definitely has some of my features-or I guess it would be the other way around. Identical eyes, blondish hair. Even his build is similar. 

Leaning back against the booth, Quinn takes a sip of his coffee. "I can't believe you're real. Like actually real. And you're tall. You would have gotten that from Mackenzie."

I laugh awkwardly. Ava shifts closer to me. I have no idea how she's sitting here. It must be so fucking uncomfortable to sit with your fake boyfriend as he meets his brother for the very first fucking time.