Chapter 7

Cameron

"Yeah, I'm looking for Ava. Connor said she lives here?"

The guy standing at our door looks oddly familiar. I feel like I've seen him somewhere-

Xander Mitch. I'm pretty sure Calgary snatched the whanker up but he's hardly on the ice. A bench warmer at best.

Also, who the fuck is Connor? I don't remember useless people so he must be really fucking hopeless if I can't-

Oh! Connor Van Lauren. Huh.

That means this fucking toddler standing at the door trains with Ava's brother. Gross.

Ava freezes on the couch when he starts spewing words, her back ramming up straight like someone's holding her shoulders.

Who the fuck is this guy to Ava?

The toddler blinks, obviously waiting for me to answer. "Well? Is she here or not?"

"If I say no, will you leave?" I raise my hand. "Question. Will you take the trash on your way down? The dumpster is right-"

"Hi-hi Xander." Ava's voice is so small, so much smaller than it was moments ago when we were laughing and smiling, Mike calling me a fucking baby.

Speaking of Mike, either he's gone deaf or he just does not give one shit 'cuz he's still sitting on the couch, now watching Blown Away.

"Hey! Turn that shit off until I deal with the toddler sitting at our door." He knows not to watch it without me. He winks at me over his shoulder and I blow him a kiss.

The toddler in question grinds his jaw so loud I'm about to snap it off its hinges. His eyes fucking soften when he sees Ava hiding behind me.

Go fucking soften somewhere else.

"Ava." He sounds relieved. "Can we talk? Please? It's...important."

Oh hell no. A man that stutters like that is no man at all.

Holding the door open with my right arm, I use my left arm to barricade him out, resting it on the door frame. "Sorry, but I'm not sure who you're talking about. Could you be having signs of early dementia? Or loss of brain cells?"

Xander narrows on me, trying to look over my shoulder at Ava. The dude is barely six feet, maybe even Ava's height. That's sad. I almost pity the dude.

Dude. Not man.

"Fuck off, man. Just let me see Ava. I just need to talk to her for a few minutes-"

I clap my hands together, tapping them against my lips. I suck a sharp breath through my teeth. "Did no one tell you? Ava has a twin sister. Yeah, her name is-"

"Ava doesn't have a twin sister." Xander snaps, his face looking flushed. "I've known her since we were sixteen. Now, move aside so I can talk to her."

Ava is obviously scared of this toddler. Her hands grips the back of my shirt, shaking and tugging.

"Cameron, it's okay. I don't want him bothering you." She whispers, still tugging like she thinks that's gonna make me move out of the way.

"I don't want him bothering you." I tell her calmly, winking at Xander when he shoots me daggers. His little baby hands fist tightly.

"What do you need, Xander?" Ava glances at me. "Whatever you need to say, just say it. Cameron probably won't remember this conversation anyway."

I smirk, wagging my eyebrows at him.

Xander blows out a rough breath, running his hands through his hair. The dude looks hella stressed.

"It's-well-I was visiting my parents for the weekend and they told me you cut all communication off with your parents-"

Ava scoffs. "You know for a fact that I am not the one that stopped talking to my parents. They were the ones who cut all ties with me after they had me move out on my eighteenth birthday."

Damn. I hate her parents already.

The toddler fluffs the air with hands like he's trying to find the right words. "And you're not answering any of my texts or calls so I'm worried about you."

"Xander." Ava sighs. "We dated for, like, five, six months before the accident and then you broke up with me. Stop pretending your worried about me so you can get on Connor's good side-who I haven't spoken to in years."

Toddler looks down and he knows he's been caught. That's a low blow. Using your ex-girlfriend so you're on better terms with her brother-who's thriving in Calgary.

'S okay though. I can have Noah kick both their asses while I munch on popcorn.

"Goodbye, Xander." Ava says tightly, moving forward to close the door.

He doesn't seem to get the memo though as rams his foot between the door and the frame, gripping Ava's shoulder tightly, pleading.

Oh hell no.

I smack his hand off Ava, who scurries back behind me. My head tilts. "Wrong move, dude. Now, get the hell out of here before I call the cops for being a dumbass."

His jaw drops open and closed, like a fish trying to breathe on land. "Who the hell do you think you are? Get the hell off me."

I smile sweetly and straighten. "I'm the one who's fist is about to collide with your fucking face if you don't get the hell out of here in the next three fucking seconds."

He staggers back like I actually did punch and I barely hold in my laugh. He glares at Ava. "Connor will be hearing about this."

Ava gasps dramatically. "Oh no. I'm so scared. Cam, protect me."

I spread my arms out. "Don't worry, I've got you. Connor can't hurt you. Neither can this whank."

"Good. I was so worried there for a second. I thought we would have to go get Mike." She shivers. "Mike is so scary. I've heard he-he's killed someone on the ice 'cuz his slapshot-"

"I can see him sitting on the couch." Toddler says.

Ava's lips part and she glances between the two. "Huh."

I snicker, raising an eyebrow at Xander. "What the hell are you still doing here?"

Xander smiles. God, I have to look away, it's so ugly. "I will be back Ava and when I am, I expect you to listen to what I have to say." He spits, backing away down the hall.

Ava stops giggling at his threat, swallowing and wrapping her arms around her, creating a shield.

There's a few moments of silence as I close and lock the door, Blown Away still playing on the TV. "So, your ex-boyfriend is kinda a jerk."

She laughs weakly before spacing out. "Cam?"

"Yes, sunshine?"

She doesn't seem to notice the nickname I've given her. I pout.

"Are you still having trouble with the media?"

Huh?  "Yes..."

Her eyes flutter close for a moment. Little curls escape her ponytail and swing by the scar on her cheek. Her eyes open, blue and green staring at me, frantic and searching.

"Still need a fake girlfriend?"