Wood chips or sand?

GERARDS POV

I woke up and the sun was already up, shining through my curtains. And there Frank was, awake. Again, staring at the ceiling. I wondered what he was thinking about, he told me it was family issues last night but I knew it was bullshit.

He was chewing on his lip ring which I realized was a sign he was anxious a while ago. He was very easy to read most of the time, actually I'd say he's been the easiest target I've ever had.

"What'cha thinking about there?" I questioned him. He seemed to snap out of his thoughts and shrugged. "Just family things.." he told me. Lie.

Lie Lie Lie.

"What kind of family stuff?" I questioned him. This time I would press on the matter, he took a second before answering. "What kind? That's kind of a silly question, you know.. the n-normal kind of family stuff" he replied hesitantly. "So how'd you sleep?" He asked me as he kept chewing on his lip ring.

He was a liar, and not a good one at that.

How would I know? For one I'm not an idiot. Secondly, his body language.

A guilty person may avoid answering direct questions, refuse to provide answers/ information that could be used against them, or simply shut down, or break down
Whether that be to start crying, just stop speaking at all. Or go in to a fit of anger. Telling the truth is still optional though.

More signs?
1.Being vague; offering few details.

2.Repeating questions before answering them.

3.Fidgeting. Most commonly, playing with their fingers or hair. Also itching, but in Franks case, it was biting and chewing on his lip ring.

4.unease. Frank was obviously becoming uneasy. It was obvious with the hesitation and stuttering.

5.changing the subject quickly before more
questions can be asked.

He asked how I slept before he could give more information and before I could even ask what the fuck "normal family stuff" even was.

"I slept fine, what about you?" I decided to just let it be, only for now though because if he thought he was gonna get away with his lying. He wasn't.

"I slept alright" he said still sounding hesitant. "What time is it?" He asked me curious, I looked at my phone. "10:02" I replied. "Really?!" He said sounding surprised, "yea, why?" I asked. "Nothing I normally don't sleep in that's all" I chuckled "sleep in? It's only 10" I commented. "Okay well we don't all sleep until 5 in the afternoon" he rolled his eyes.

"I'll be back I have to go ask Mikey something" I said getting up and walking out without another word, I didn't actually have to ask Mikey anything, I just felt like going outside to smoke super quickly. As I walked down the steps I heard speaking, I paused. "So what do you think he listened to us?! I mean if you think about it, why the fuck would he listen to us anyways?!" Mercedes said quite angrily. "Shut up you'll wake someone up!" Mikey whispered yelled in response to her slightly raising her voice.

I didn't move and tried to stay as still as possible. I heard Mikey make an annoyed noise and Mercedes let out an annoyed sigh. "What are you doing hun?" My mom asked in a sleepy voice while she looked at me from the top of the stairs regarding me stopping half way to listen. Fuck. "nothing" I tried to play it off and walk all the way down. Without saying anything, I went outside making a point to slam the front door. Maybe then those idiots would take the hint that I heard them speaking.

I sat on the bench next to our front door and pulled out a cigarette and a lighter from under the bench cushion. I think everyone knew I smoked except my mom. I knew she wouldn't appreciate me going behind her back while also stealing the lighters she buys for her candles but.. she'll be fine.