Prologue

Ten years ago…

Celeste

He’s finally coming over! I sit by the monkey bars twirling my hair and tell Todd to kindly buzz off. He sticks his tongue out and readjusts his glasses. Todd is my best friend, has been since kindergarten. I shoot him a pleading look, and he sighs, running over to the swings.
Jeremy is the new kid, and everyone thinks he’s the cat's meow, including me. He has dark brown hair; his skin is perfect, and he has a chain on his jeans. So dreamy!
Today, Missy Clark saw me fawning over him and asked me if I would like her to ask him out for me. At first, I wondered why Missy was even talking to me. You see, I’m not very popular. I’m what you would call a late bloomer. While all the other girls go on dates and have social lives. I read and collect coins. I’m also very awkward. So, I was ecstatic when Missy and her group of friends approached me this morning.
Oh my gosh, he even smells amazing. I check my nails, pretending I don’t notice him behind me but end up awkwardly throwing my hand down when I realize I’m shaking. Jeremy clears his throat, and I turn around, acting surprised.
“Are you Celeste Quarts?”.
I manage to nod as I lose my ability to speak. I’m so nervous right now I can’t even breathe.
He looks me up and down.
“I’m supposed to give you this!”
Icy cold liquid splashes in my face and trickles down my favorite blue Henley. Jeremy has thrown his raspberry slush puppy in my face. Tears build behind my eyes as I take in the surrounding scene. Everyone is pointing and laughing. Missy is in the center yelling out:
“Trash face, trash face!”
Jeremy cringes at me in a look of complete disgust, then speaks low enough only I can hear him.
“Did you honestly think you’d have a shot at me? You look like a boy, and you have the personality of a rock… You're lucky this is all that happened.”
I can literally feel my heart break in two…
A screech bursts from my throat, and the wind kicks up around me; making the leaves circle in an unnatural pattern. My cry carries throughout the area echoing louder? Even though I know that’s impossible, I can't deny what I hear. The yard goes still for everyone but Jeremy. He stares back at me in horror and piss trickles down his leg. I say the only logical thought I have. The thought that’s played over and over, like a reel since he threw the slush in my face.
“I WISH EVERYONE KNEW HOW UGLY YOU TRULY ARE!”
Had I known what was going to happen. I would have wished for something less permanent. Like full body acne or a lisp. It was too late; I couldn’t take back the words. Jeremy's insides just simply flipped. It was terrifying. On the inside, I wanted to wretch, but on the outside, I was still as stone. They called it a medical anomaly. He nearly died. I was left with gnawing guilt and fear of what was wrong with me, what I could unknowingly do. I felt I needed to be locked up, but no one could recall what happened. I think I did that? The rumors started. I was sent away shortly after. My mother said it was because I needed a fresh start, but I knew better. I told her the truth, and she viewed me as a danger. I spent most of my life ashamed of myself, unworthy of love.
That day on the playground, I learned a cold, hard truth. People are cruel, so guard yourself and NEVER let them in… and oh yeah, I'm a witch stemming from a long line of powerful witches.