chapter 4

Grayson

I knew it was Celeste the moment I scented her. Instinct had me chasing her through the woods, even after her terrified expression. It was too hard to control myself in wolf form and even harder to leave the sight of her in her home. Staying in the shadows, I avidly watched her every move. Her house is put together the same way she is; not a thing out of place and severely prudent. I’d love to strip the control from her, release the animal I know lurks underneath. 
I throw my jeans on with jerky motions. That woman has gotten under my skin. Now I understand Elliot’s predicament, the need to possess, and the fear of ruining any chance of that happening. Women are volatile creatures. 
When I step inside, Jolene is waiting at the door, a smug look on her face. I step past her in no mood for twenty-one questions. She follows on my heels into the kitchen. I turn toward her and say what with a sigh. I know she’ll keep up this shadow act until I give in, and I’m in no mood for company.
“Well grumpy I was going to tell you, but maybe I should wait until you’re in a better mood... actually, this will put you in a better mood.”
I lean against the counter and fold my arms, waiting for her to reason with herself. She claps her hands together in excitement and gives me a toothy smile.
“Guess who asked about you?”
My brows crease with suspicion.
“Celeste,” she says, in a sing-song voice. I straighten, half afraid of what I’m about to hear. Could she have known it was me? She’s never seen me in my wolf form, and wolves are hard to distinguish unless you’re a shifter of the same species.
“What did she say?”
“Ha, I knew you’d be interested... nothing really, she just asked where you were then told me not to tell you she asked. So, you better keep this between us or else.”
She’s suspicious at best. I can deny it and just keep from changing in front of her. That should be easy since I never see her.
“Why don’t you look surprised?... what’s going on here?” Jolene places her hands on her hips and looks me over like the answer is visible if she could just spot it.
“Nothing, it’s just like you said. So, she asked where I was, it’s not like she asked me out. Celeste probably wanted to make sure I wasn’t eavesdropping.”
Jolene mulls my statement over and turns her I-feel-bad-for-you puppy-dog eyes to me.
“It didn’t feel that way... she sounded nervous. Anyway, it’s a step in the right direction.”
“Yeah, sure.” I turn back to the cupboard and make myself a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Yes, I know I’m pathetic. 
“Okay, well, have a good night.” I remember Jolene’s still there, and I turn to see her worried face. 
“You too!” I mumble while forcing a smile with a mouth full. It’s actually not half bad. Jolene gives me a nod before finally leaving. My mind is running a mile a minute as I try to figure out my next move. I make two more of those sandwiches. I see them becoming a favorite...
“Get up!”
What the hell? I crack my eyes open and see Jacob at my door.
“What time is it?”
He comes into my room and throws my jeans at me.
“Early.” 
I glance at my clock. it's three thirty in the morning. I’ve been asleep for two hours.
“What’s going on?” I ask, pulling on my pants. Jacob peeks out my window before answering.
“Perimeter breach, in the garage.”
It’s probably just a raccoon, but I grab my throwing knives, anyway. Jacobs out the door, and I follow him down the stairs. The rest of the house is asleep, and I wonder why I’m the one he woke up. We ride the elevator to the last floor in silence. When the door opens, a man stands in front of us. I tense when I recognize the scar from his profile pic. 
“You’re either a very brave man to show your face here, or you have a death wish.” Jacob growls out his words, and I feel the air around him chill. It’s the science experiment John created. The very one that killed him and joined the enemy’s side. I thought he was dead.
“What are you doing here?” Jacob asks uninvitingly. The guy throws his hands up and drops to his knees.
“Please!... they tried to kill me... I just want revenge; I want to join your cause.” his pleading voice doesn’t fool me. I palm my knives, ready to take him out.
“Who is they?” Jacob asks.
I turn to Jacob, confused. He can’t be serious? I wouldn’t believe a word that comes out of this guy’s mouth.
“The people I work for. They’re a group much like yourselves. Except they do more bad than good... I see that now.” 
“Why should we believe you?” I snap. Jacob gives me a nod, and the guy looks between us.
“Well, answer him. It’s a reasonable question.” There’s something off with him. His expressions don’t match his body language. He’s being deceptive. 
“You shouldn’t. I’ve done nothing to earn it. Give me a chance and I’ll show you where their camp is. They’re planning an attack on you as we speak... I just need a safe place to sleep. They will kill me without protection.”
My jaw drops when I realize Jacobs actually considering it.
“If I allow you, you tell me everything you know, and I get the location now. We attack first thing this morning, and you come with us.”
He eagerly agrees, and I want to scream my refusal to Jacob. Tell him how obvious the trap is. 
“I have the coordinates in my pocket. Here.”
I watch him hand over the business card, and Jacob punches them in his phone. I think I hear him mutter ‘of course’.
“Okay Peter, we can offer you protection for an exchange, but I can’t promise you a future with us… that will have to be earned.”
I watch the guy nod vigorously, and I curl my lip at him as I tail him to the elevator. My hand never leaves the grip of my knives. I’m silent the entire ride. There’s no way I’m sleeping under the same roof. When we exit the elevator, Jacob puts his hand up.
“This is as far as you go, for now.”  
He pulls me through the gym doors where he can watch peter and go unheard.
“Call up the witch. I want a containment spell... a strong one. If she doesn’t want to come now, make it worth her while, whatever the price.”
What the hell is he planning?
“You know it’s a trap, right?”
Jacob smiles, giving me a wink.
“I’m counting on it.” he says, still smiling. I stare after him as he walks away. Jacob has his serious face in place. I think he’s about to interrogate the guy. Now I feel bad for him. Jacob can be ruthless.
I go into the hallway and pull up Celeste’s number. It’s already programmed in my phone.
“You better be dying... It's four am.”
Her voice is sexy, all sleep laced and threatening.
“I have a job for you. Well, Jacob does. How good are you at containment spells?” there’s shoveling and the sound of fabric. I imagine her lying in bed naked or in something equally flimsy with messy hair, and I have to bite my lip to keep from moaning.
“Now? You want a spell at four in the morning?”
“It’s urgent. Jacobs willing to pay anything.” There’s a long pause and some more shuffling. I think she’s getting dressed.
“He’s going to pay through the teeth. I’m doubling the price, tacking on a hefty emergency fee, and a new inconvenience fee I just made up!” I laugh into the phone; I can imagine her smug smile as she adds the numbers in her head.
“of course, naturally.” I tell her. 
“Good, I’ll be there in twenty.”
It’s the first time we’ve talked without her debunking me upon sight, and I’m nearly floating with elation. There’s no way I’m sleeping now.