chapter 28

Grayson

She’s amazing; strong, intelligent, kindhearted, and a hell of a knockout. I thank the gods daily that she’s my mate. I can’t keep my eyes off her since the shower. Even now, sitting in the passenger’s seat, I can’t get the image of her soapy body out of my head. The only way I kept my word was the thought of stealing her heart along with it.
We pull up to the gates where Celeste last had her little rendezvous with the coven. I follow her to the entrance, and she turns on me.
“Oh no, you’re not coming in with me!” 
Folding my arms, I stand my ground. I’m not leaving her sight. I may trust her, but I still don’t trust witches, and I’m not losing her again.
“You either take me with you or you call them out here. Either way, I’m good.”
She rolls her eyes and places her hands on her hips. I know that look. We’re going to butt heads. I need to win this one.
“It’s forbidden. If I bring you in there, it puts them immediately on alert. Just you knowing this location is a breach. Now, bringing you past these gates and inside is a whole new ballgame.”
I smile down at her.
“let’s play ball.”
She doesn’t find my response at all funny. Her anger is like an aphrodisiac.
“This isn’t a game, Grayson. If I don’t get these papers for Beth, her life is ruined.”
“I get it, Celeste, but I don’t trust them, and I won’t lose you again. There’s how many of them in there? And one of you. With me by your side, they won’t be able to get those papers fast enough to get me out. Besides, what do you care about breaking rules, anyway? It’s not your coven anymore.”
She seems to contemplate my words, and I see the moment she gives in. Her shoulders relax, and she lets out a big sigh. I try not to gloat.
“Fine! Stick with me; don’t talk and don’t touch anything.”
My brows raise at her demeanor. I like this bossy side of hers. Celeste snorts at me, shaking her head. My thoughts must be obvious.
“You’re incorrigible.”
Her curves distract me as I follow her up the stairs, and I miss the massive crow watching me. Its eerie eyes are anything but normal. Celeste walks straight through. The fact there’s no security leaves me to believe there're no threats to them. Which I find highly unlikely or they have no fear. Which scares me a little. There’s a reason I don’t trust witches. They’re shifty and cruel. Celeste excluded, of course. 
A group of young girls appear from an opposite hallway and freeze when they catch sight of us. Whispers ensue as celeste makes a noise of inpatients. 
“Go get Virgina girls.”
They scatter, all but one. The remaining girl approaches Celeste and I tense, not knowing what to expect. Celeste seems relaxed, so I ease my stance slightly.
“Is Beth okay?”
Celeste smiles at the girl, and it’s a look of genuine care. I think I might like this kid. She whispers into Celeste’s ear, and with my heightened hearing, her words are clear.
“Why did you bring an animal in here? You know it’s against the rules.”
Celeste laughs under her breath as the girl makes an extreme effort to avoid eye contact with me. Celeste doesn’t get a chance to answer because an old, heavily perfumed twig enters the room. My guess is, this is Virgina.
“you’re an idiotic woman, Celeste, but this isn’t news.”
Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. I want to scratch her eyes out for the insult, as much as the look she casts my way. 
“You would know better than me; right, Vee? After all, stupid is as stupid does. Isn’t that what you live by?”
She doesn’t walk down the stairs; she floats. It’s eerie as fuck! My skin crawls witnessing it.
“Let’s save the insults and cut to the chase, Celeste. Why are you here? And with a mutt too. Are you trying to get blacklisted out of every coven in the state?” 
I hope celeste hits her. If she doesn’t, I might.
“Beth... I’m here to pick up her release papers.”
“Why would Beth matter to you? I thought you only cared about yourself... No attachments, isn’t that what you live by? The poor damaged Celeste that no one loves. Not even her parents.”
Virgina says the last with mock pity and a put-upon frown. I snap my teeth at her as I witness Celeste swallow back pain. 
“Watch yourself witch!” I say, as threatening as I feel. One more insult like that and I’ll put her out of her misery.
“You watch yourself, mutt! Or I’ll curse every child you bare for eternity.”
Celeste cuts me off before I can respond.
“The papers Virgina, and I’ll be on my way.”
Virgina crosses her arms, emitting a sickly smile.
“No. I’ve decided to take her back in. The girls miss her.”
“That’s the biggest crock of shit I ever heard. The only thing those girls miss is their target. She doesn’t want to come back, she’s happy where she is.”
“That’s not her choice. She’s young and impressionable she doesn’t know what’s good for her. Besides, the decision is mine.” 
Celeste slams her hand down on the table out of frustration.
“You can’t be that cruel? I’ll take this to the high counsel if I have to. Just try me Virgina.”
Virgina folds her arms, looking sideways at Celeste. I curl my lip in disgust.
“You wouldn’t. I’m not the only one with skeletons in my closet. If you expose mine, I’ll be sure to take you down with me.”
Whatever skeletons celeste has, the discovery doesn’t seem to faze her. I watch Virgina take her measure. It’s obvious to her as well as to me. Celeste isn’t backing down.
“Fine. I’ll give you her papers, signed by me personally, but I want something in return... I want your vote for chief counsel. You still have a following as small as it is, and I want you to publicly vouch for me in front of your peers. Give me that and Beth gets her freedom.”
Oh shit! A double swallow. Celeste’s nails dig into her elbows I feel her distress as my own.
“Is that all that matters to you? Your reputation?... do you know what they call you behind your back, Virgina?”
“It doesn’t matter. All great leaders are envied. I’m above jealousy.”
Celeste’s shrill laughter causes Virgina to slip off her pedestal. The insulted look on her face makes me smile.
“You’re not envied Virgina, nor are you a great leader. Even with my fake vote, you’ll still be a mockery. Forever a laughingstock.”
The girls snicker in the corner and Virgina’s head snaps toward them.
“Back to your quarters. Now!”
They run along like sheep.
“Do we have a deal, Celeste? My time is valuable.”
“Sure, Virgina. Whatever you say.”