chapter 27

Celeste

It feels so good to be home. After a very creepy visit to hell, a hovel would be comforting. This feels like heaven.
I can feel Grayson’s eyes bore into me, and I take a breath before closing my eyes. It was so much easier thinking up the words during an epiphany that feels like it happened so long ago. My feelings are still there, but my thoughts are muddled.
“What’s wrong?”
Damn, he’s clairvoyant. I turn to face him and freeze up. His warm hand cups the side of my cheek, and I allow the comfort to settle deep into my bones. 
The words lift off my tongue as easily as a breath;
“I love you.” My words come out like a confession; it almost feels like one too. I’m sure he heard me because his eyes are rapidly scanning mine with a look of bewilderment.
“I never thought I’d hear those words.  Are you sure?”
I laugh out loud at the question and know damn well it’s not a rhetorical one.
“Of course, I am. I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t mean it.”
He takes my mouth in a sizzling kiss that makes my toes curl. As Grayson backs me up to the couch, my conscience gets the better of me, and I reluctantly break away from his delectable lips. 
“There’s something I have to do, and I can’t put it off any longer.” I tell him.
Grayson groans, palming himself. I giggle under my breath, trying to keep a straight face. There’s so much more I want to tell him and show him, but there’s someone who needs me more. 
“I have to see to the coven and set things straight for Beth. It's time I fix my mistakes.” 
My voice is stern, and I’m filled with a strength that feels foreign. There’s a certain clarity I’ve never had. Pausing, I look around for the girl but can’t find her on the main level.
“Where is she, by the way?” I ask Grayson. When he doesn’t answer, I look at him questionably. His hesitancy puts me on high alert.  
“She went to live with her grandmother.” 
“Grayson… She doesn’t have a grandmother! WHERE IS SHE?”
I throw my hands in my hair and watch as Grayson pulls out his phone, hits a few buttons, and passes it to me. 
“What are you doing?” I ask.
“Calling Beth.”
He’s been in contact with her? The thought touches me, and I don’t have time to dissect that before she answers.
“Bro, you need friends.”
Her quirky voice relaxes me instantly. I grasp the phone like a lifeline. 
“Beth, where are you?”
“Celeste? Holy shit, what happened to you?”
The last thing I want to do is relay the complete nightmare, but more than that, I need to know she’s safe.
“Never mind that. Where are you?”
She hesitates, then lets out a long sigh.
“I’m at my grams… I left my hometown because I thought I could be somebody.  My parents are gone, but my grams is my guardian.”
She lied? This entire time? I know I should, but I can’t even be mad. I’m just glad she’s okay.
“You are somebody, Beth. No matter where you are.”
There’s a long pause, and I think she’s hung up. Then there’s sniffling. Her voice is thready when she speaks again.
“I think I’m beginning to see that now. Thanks to you.”
Me? What did I do?
“You’ve always believed in me, and when you told the coven off, it really made me think. It made me realize I’m better than them… You were right, Celeste.  What I have is more valuable than any name I can make for myself. I’m a good person and an amazing witch; you made me realize that.”
By the time she’s done, I’m in tears. I turn away from Grayson, embarrassingly wiping my eyes.
“You’re welcome, kiddo. It’s about time you realized that. I’m going to have to come out and make sure your old coven is treating you right.”
“Actually, about that.  Virgina called the coven and told them I’m still technically a member there. They won’t let me stay on without her official dismissal.”
That fucking bitch! We’ll just see about that.
“Is that so? Don’t worry Beth, you’ll have what you need soon enough And I’ll be personally delivering it to you.”
“I couldn’t ask you to do that.”
“You didn’t, I volunteer. I was headed there anyway.”
I can hear Grayson fiddle with something on the counter behind me.
“You’re the best Celeste. I can only hope to be half the badass you are.”
Her complete adoration has me misty-eyed again. 
“Get some rest I’ll see you tomorrow.”
I turn back to Grayson, who’s sulking face has me cracking up. 
“Why do I get the feeling you’re going to leave again?” he says this like he hasn’t been listening the entire time. I roll my eyes and climb the stairs with him on my heels. As I enter the bathroom, he pauses at the threshold. Ever the gentleman. 
When I turn the taps on and begin to undress, he steps inside and watches me intently. 
“Are you trying to entice me?” he asks with that sexy rumble I’ve begun to crave. I don’t answer because I don’t have time for that. What I do, whether intentionally or not, doesn’t help my situation.  
I’m a little slower to undress, a touch more sensual than normal. His eyes riveted on every inch of skin I expose raises gooseflesh and makes me flushed all at once.
I’ve shown no one but Grayson what lies beyond my mask of indifference. Nor have I taken off my cloak of protection for anyone but him. The reassurance he loves what lies within is staggering.  I’d give anything to spend the rest of my life sharing; I’ve waited long enough. Just one day longer, that’s all I need. Once the weight is off my back, I’ll be free to enjoy my happiness.  
The thought of Amber crashes through my brain like a wrecking ball clearing anything positive in its path.
“Where did you go?”
My reflex is to bite back with a rude comment, but I fight it for him as much as me. This is my chance to change. My shot at happiness. 
“Amber… I thought about my sister.” I tell him. 
He comes up to me before all my nakedness to place a loose strand of hair behind my ear.
“Thank you for letting me in, Celeste.”
His eyes find mine and search the way I did his in the past. 
“She’s safe I got an update just hours ago.” His finger trails down past my shoulder and slower between my breasts.
“Grayson.”
It’s a weak plea. Even I’m not sure of what I’m asking.  For him to stop or continue.  
“One day. Twenty-four hours. After that, you 're mine.”
I’m close to saying why wait! but it would be rushed. Our first time was for the wrong reasons.  I want our next to be perfect.  He’s right. 
Besides, the anticipation is such a mood setter. Grayson knows how to get me excited, and he uses the tension well. I think he’s going to leave, but he doesn’t. Grayson sits back and watches me intently. His eyes following every move makes me extremely aroused. I stay silent but am hyper aware of everything I’m doing. Grayson doesn’t say a word, and I’m too nervous to look at him. My mind goes nuts, wondering what he’s thinking.
When I’m done with a very thorough shower, he follows me into my bedroom and watches me dress. I choose my power suit, tailored to fit me; complete with a tuxedo-black blazer and matching tie. Pulling my hair in a tight bun, I apply my customary makeup. Grayson watches me the entire time without saying a single word. I should be annoyed or feel awkward. It should affect me in more than one way, but it doesn’t. The only thing I feel is arousal. How does he do it?
I finally look him in the eye and I’m caught off guard by the predatory look in his eyes. All I can do is gasp. If I looked at him and saw that look naked, I don’t think I’d be dressed right now.
“Make this quick Celeste. I won’t be giving you a minute more than twenty-four hours. Weather we’re in company or in a car, I don’t really care. The second your time runs out I’m taking you.” 
His eyes flash from grey to gold at the same time an excited chill makes its way up my spine. I think I’ve met my match.