chapter 18

Grayson

She’s perfect. I have to touch every inch of her smooth, flawless skin; explore every dip and hallow. At this moment, she’s here with me. Honoring me with glimpses of the vulnerability beneath her tough exterior. Touching her that way is more fulfilling than anything I could do physically. I’d give anything for possession of her body, heart, and soul.
I tell her how beautiful she is dragging out this moment, but she’s too far gone to wait. I push into her exquisite softness, and I’m lost to her. Every blessed inch is heaven.  The animal inside I worried would hurt her is calm, as if he too is honored. This is what peace is. I can’t find it in a place or thing. Celeste is my solace. 
I’ve dreamt of this. Loving my mate, laying siege to her body. The dream doesn’t compare. The way she looks up at me, lost in ecstasy that I’m delivering. It’s got to be the most fulfilling feeling in the universe. 
She’s getting close, and my need to claim her rakes at me from the inside. No! Not yet. I haven’t even explained it to her. The basest part of me doesn’t see that as a valuable reason, and as I fight back the urge, my movements become jarring, rougher.
I look down at Celeste, unable to control the tempo any longer as my fingers dig into her taut cheeks, angling her to sink deeper. The moan she lets loose breaks me, and the animal takes over with vengeance; angered at my refusal to mark her as mine. Celeste takes it and more as she sprigs forward to grind into me. 
My eyes widen in surprise. She’s magnificent, her lithe body sprawled on top of me. My mouth waters at the sight of her puckered nipples and I take one into my mouth. Celeste arches, clenching me, and I’m helpless not to follow. When she falls back on the pillows gasping, a flash of red catches my eye.
Her breast is bleeding. I feel my teeth with my tongue, and sure enough, they’re razor sharp. I’m a fucking bastard. She trusts me with her body, and I end up hurting her. She follows my gaze, and she realizes.
“I’m so sorry, Celeste. I won’t let it happen again.”
“What? This. It’s just a scratch, relax.” 
I get up and grab a cloth to wipe the smear with a curse, gently dabbing the blood.
“Grayson, stop it! I’ve had paper cuts worse than this. You didn’t hurt me.”
My brows dip with renewed anger.
“You don’t have to act like it doesn’t bother you. You can get mad at me, I deserve it.” I tell her, ashamed of my lack of control. 
“The only way I would get mad is if you held back. Not only do I accept all of you, Grayson. I happen to enjoy that side.”
I Study her trying to gauge her sincerity… she means it! She likes the wolf in me?
“You’re not afraid I’ll hurt you?” I ask her.
She snorts, moving closer to me; stirring my desire. Again. 
“There’s not a single part of you that would hurt me.”
Her faith in me is touching but misplaced. Even I can’t guarantee as much.
“He’s here!” Celeste screeches, jumping out of bed. I’m about to ask who, when I sent him. I’m fully dressed in seconds. Celeste is tying her robe walking out the door.  I grab her, pulling her back. 
“Not a chance woman, get behind me.” 
She listens, and I smile to myself. It feels good to protect someone I love. I whisper, turning sideways: 
“How did you know he was here before me?”
It’s been bugging me since I scented him. I need to know.
“Magic, he shouldn’t be able to get within fifty feet of my property.”
Interesting, magic can be quite useful.  Why am I not surprised she’s impressive? She’s my mate.
He’s there alright. Sitting on the brick fence that lines her house. Ballsy, since the sun has just set. Although most everything is already covered in darkness. Some rays still color the grass; One wrong move and he’s ash.
“Tsk, tsk, tsk, Celeste. Your sister would be gravely disappointed or she will be when I finally let her die, that is.”
I hear Celeste make a choking noise behind me, but I don’t dare take my focus from Mica.
“Would you like me to tell her you were too busy fucking your lapdog to care about her fate?”
“Shut up! Bloodsucker. Her sister is the only reason you 're still alive.”
He laughs and my teeth sharpen at the ready.  One step toward her and I won’t hesitate to lock my jaw around his neck, decapitating him. 
“Do you really think you could intervene? Your insignificant.”
“Try me.” I warn.
His eyes light and I show my teeth, ready for it. He seems to weigh his options, then takes my measure. I can see his shoulders relax and he dismisses me. That pisses me off. He has no idea what kind of damage I can do. I remind myself this isn’t about me. I have to keep my cool. It’s the first time I’ve ever thought beyond my aggression, it’s an odd feeling. One with clarity.
“Call your vampire off. I can feel him watching me.” 
“I have no idea what you’re talking about… sounds like you’ve got more enemies than you think.” I bluff, hoping he bites. His beady red eyes narrow to tiny slits. He dismisses me again, jumping off the wall to stand beyond the gate.
“Your sisters on borrowed time, witch. When I find someone to perform the spell. I’ll have you dragged away to watch her slow, painful, death and you’ll be next.”
The scumbag dissipates into thin air, leaving me riled and Celeste devastated. I hold her in my arms and text Estevan. 
“He’s right! I’m a horrible person who doesn’t deserve to be happy.  My sister is suffering and I’m… I’m.”
“Doing everything you can to save her. Real terrible, that is.” I finish for her; a little snappier than I mean to be. It’s not her that’s put me in a mood. It’s the bloodsucker and I can’t do a damn thing about it.  Estevan messages me back, telling me he’s in pursuit, but no leads yet. 
“I need to do something… I can’t stand sitting idle, knowing what she’s going through.” Celeste’s broken voice cuts through me like a knife in the chest, causing a sharp ache.
“I know… I know.” I whisper, kissing her head. I assure her we will, but if Estevan can’t find her through Mica?… the pain in her voice kills me. I feel it as if it’s my own.  Whatever Mica is up to, I can’t let it come to fruition. I can’t let my mate suffer either.