chapter 14

Grayson

Hovering over her, the entire trek back to the van puts her in a pissy mood. I don’t care. Celeste doesn’t know it yet, but I’m not letting her out of my sight. I was lucky this time and may not be the next. No more chances, no more fighting my instincts. She may not like it, but I’m going to damn well make sure she listens.
“You can just take me to Virgina’s, I have another vehicle there.” Celeste says.
Like fuck he can! I grab Jacob by the arm, pulling him to the side. I can see Celest’s eyes narrow with suspicion. 
“I’m not leaving her alone. The moment you drop her off, she’s going to go right back to the place she was taken.”
“I know... What do you suggest?”
I’m slightly surprised by Jacob’s cooperation. He’s more of the live and let be type. 
“We keep her at the compound.”
“Absolutely not!”
I turn to see Celest’s head sticking out of the window, shamelessly eavesdropping. Her mouth is set in the stubborn line I’ve grown to know and expect. Although I love this side of her, at the moment it’s inconvenient.
“I’m not giving you a choice.” I tell her.
Celeste folds her arms and states;
“Neither am I!”
She’s so fucking stubborn and adorable. Shaking my head, I focus on the matter at hand; getting an independent-to-a-fault woman to see reason.  
“What is to stop Mica from sifting in taking you whenever he wants?”
“I’ll be ready. I’m not going to change my life for one vampire. Besides, I can’t stand other people in my close quarters. I’m just not built that way.”
Her choice of words confuses me and her commitment to them just doesn’t convince me.
“Fine, then I’m coming with you.” I tell her matter-of-factly, using her tone on her. She sputters her response.
“Absolutely not.”
“It’s not up for debate, love. Either you come with me or I go with you. Your choice.”
She’s quiet for a long moment. Just when I think she’s about to argue, to my surprise, she concedes.
“Fine, you come with me. Until I can get my place secured. Then you’re gone.”
Yeah, right, I meant what I said. I’m not leaving her side, but I don’t argue. I just don’t agree either.
“Okay, now that, that’s settled... I think we should go.” Jacob cuts in from behind me. I look around at everyone and realize the childish conversation that just took place was not done in private. I witness Celeste realizing the same thing as a slight blush rises on her cheeks. I never noticed the state of her makeup, hair, and attire. I’ve never seen her this way. So... human... normal.
“What is it?” she asks, giving me a guarded look from the backseat. She looks down while buckling and I pull my eyes away, getting in the passenger’s side.
“Where to?” Jacob asks. A quick glance in the review mirror reveals Celeste’s accusing glare as I guiltily mumble her location...
When Jacob pulls away in front of her house, I expect Celeste to really let me have it. What I get is worse... silence. Well, except for slamming the door in my face. I enter her house and watch her stomp up the steps. A few minutes later, I hear the shower running. 
I take my time straightening out and looking around her home. Anything to distract myself from the thought of her naked and soapy. I’d hate to get kicked out the first night. She’s got a thing for cactus plants. They seem to be the only decor in the house. Aside from her obvious obsession with cleanliness and orderliness. I learn nothing about her. I know there’s more to her than silly quirks. If you searched my room, you’d find plenty of clues to my personality. I have a collection of action movies, pictures of family, a fondness for the color of red. I like baseball and collect antique weapons. Celeste likes to clean and has plants that require next to nothing in maintenance. She’s truly a mystery. I’m a sucker for mysteries.