chapter 15

Celeste

The one person I’d hoped to never see me unkempt has seen me unraveled. I hardly recognize the person in the mirror. My mascara has left streaks down my face and under my eyes. The once beautiful cashmere sweater is now torn and soiled. There are so many creases in my pencil skirt that it looks runched, and my hair is a frizzy disaster; the natural curls are fighting their way back. What’s the point anymore, especially with him. If I’m truly his mate he’d be attracted to me even if I was hideous. Besides, I don’t have the energy. If he plans on staying, he can damn well deal with the raw version physically and emotionally. Right now, my key priority is getting the stench of blood off of me. Oh god, I can only imagine how fierce the smell is to Grayson. As far as I can remember, wolf shifters have extremely heightened senses. Here I go again, completely distracted from my sister, all because of him. The timing is terrible. Now, I just need to convince my hormones of the same thing. 
If Estevan can find her through V, I can find a way to save her. She has to be somewhere off the earth plane since none of my location spells worked. Shit! that’s important information. My cell was on my nightstand table, but Sherlock Holmes must have it now. I call Grayson’s name, telling myself it’s only because it’s important and not because I like his attention. I’m playing with fire.
“What’s wrong?” 
He talks through the door, and I tell myself it’s a good thing. I’m not at all disappointed.
“Amber is on another plane. Wherever he has her, she’s chained to stone and in dirt.”
There’s a long pause, and I wonder if he’s heard me.
“Could you get that information to Estevan?” I ask
“Already on it... is that all?”
His voice sounds suggestive, and I bite my lip at the temptation. I’m suddenly wet with desire, but the thought of my sister and her condition tamps the worst of it down.
“Yes, thank you.” My prim answer is enough to kill any amorous thoughts either of us have. 
The hot water leaves me completely drained. Now that I’m home and safe, exhaustion begins to set in. I don’t blow dry and straighten my hair. I don’t check the house three times over. The unthinkable has already happened... and maybe I do feel safe with Grayson, or I’m too tired to care. Throwing on a long shirt, I crawl under the covers, and my lids drop like anchors...
For a second, I think I’m at the hall, and Beth is holding bacon under my nose to wake me. Then I remember there’s a hungry wolf downstairs who has raided my freezer. The smell makes me realize it’s been nearly three days since I’ve had proper food. Uncaring about anything but my hunger, I follow the smell to the kitchen.
“A man who can cook, I must be dream-”
I stop mid-sentence when Grayson’s egg drops and breaks all over my clean floor... Hold that thought. My floor is dirty. Taking a deep breath, I assure myself that messes are normal. They do not reflect me as a person. It can be cleaned later. Once I pull myself together, I get back to his reaction.
“Sorry if I startled you.” I say sincerely, taking a seat at the island next to him. Grayson still doesn’t respond. I cross my legs, and his head drops as his eyes travel the length of my legs. I subconsciously tug my shirt down. Though it stops mid thigh, in public, I keep everything knee length. It’s professional.  
His keen interest begins to stir another hunger in me, and I shift in my seat. Grayson’s nostrils flare, and his eyes meet mine. The intensity in them takes me by surprise, and time kind of suspends for a moment. We seem to be communicating on a different level. He steps forward until we’re close enough. I can make out the gold flecks in his eyes. Our breaths mingle. Grayson picks up a lock of my hair, rubbing it between his fingers. I think I hear him compare it to silk under his breath. I watch him, completely entranced and beyond excited. 
“You smell mouthwatering.” He tells me this with a brush of his lips against my lobe. I shiver at the sensation. His words confuse me because he didn’t smell my hair, but then I remember he’s a wolf and… I blush, clamping my legs shut when I realize he wasn’t talking about my hair at all.
I sniff the air and realize the bacon is burning.
“FUCK!” He barks.
I laugh, dipping my head to hide it, as Grayson rushes to the stove, waving a pot holder at the smoke.
My stomach growls, and he turns around, scowling at the noise.
“How do you like your eggs?” he asks, causing me a fit of laughter…
After a well-needed breakfast, I dress and secretly clean while Grayson tends to his business. When he comes down, we leave for the compound in his car. The way he reacted this morning has got me bent out of shape, but he hasn’t said a word about it.
“Why were you looking at me like that this morning?”
He chuckles, shaking his head before pushing his hair back. I think he’s not going to answer and then I surmise he’s thinking. 
“Your beauty stunned me. I couldn’t look away.” 
Gulping, I squint my eyes at him. Is he pulling my leg? If anything, I bet I scared him. 
“Why do you do that?” he asks, swirling his finger at me. I’m unsure what ‘that’ is and tell him as much.
“How you dress, and covering your beauty with that God awful make up.”
“Excuse me?” a flash of my childhood appears and my blood runs cold. I’m about to throat punch him and vow to dismember him when he says something that gives me pause.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. Just, your freckles are adorable and your hair is wild. When you let it curl, you look… exotic.”
“You… like these things?” I ask him, not believing a word he said. 
“Like is too weak a word. I thought I was going to catch that rogue egg with no hands.”
Snorting at that, I relax. Although I’m not completely convinced. I know how he could cure any lingering doubts. Slow down, girl, now is not the time. We pull into the parking garage; I can feel the tension build.
“There’s something I have to talk to you about before we go inside.”
Bingo had a feeling.
“As much as I’d love to see Lucifer rotting in a cell, you’re going to have to let him loose. I think everyone got a little ticked at you for that stunt. Jacob has a promise to keep and Tally wants to torture Lucifer for killing Jace.” 
“Then she’s the least angry with me?” I joke. Grayson doesn’t laugh at all. Instead, he becomes stern.
“Not exactly. She’s been searching for him since the angels confirmed he was still alive. The others took the information less literal but not Tally. She nearly wasted away searching for him. It had only been a couple of days that she started coming back around to living again.”
How sad and unfortunate. Destiny has a way of getting what she wants regardless of circumstance or feelings. No matter how warranted they are. I should know. Maybe that’s why things went down like this. Could Grayson be meant for me the same way I’m meant for him? If I was being honest, this is the first time since... don’t go there. Bottom line, I don’t have to work for my desire with him, it’s always present.
“As for the lying to me that stops here and now. No matter what it is, there’s nothing you could do that I can’t handle. Your problems are mine and we’ll fix them together from now on.”
Woah! That’s a lot to take in for someone who’s lived a solitary life. Thinking along those lines makes me a little anxious. I need his support more than ever, so I nod, getting out of the car first.
Grayson’s not wrong. When I enter the library, I get more than a few angry glares. Mostly from Tally, but the other girls don’t look so friendly, either. I knew this was coming. Gritting my teeth behind my smile, I square my shoulders and take a seat next to Jacob. With his inviting expression, it feels like the most advantageous move.
“Mrs. Quarts, I trust you had a restful night?”
I glance at Grayson, keeping my attention away from the glares at my back.
“I did, thank you.”
“Great, let’s get down to business.” Jacob claps his hands and I flinch. Grayson notices, placing a hand on my shoulder. I shrug him off, upset at my jumpy behavior. I’m strong, Damit and I’ve been through worse before. What’s wrong with me?
“I’d like to free Lucifer and get his help in tracking down Mica aka V. Estevan has just checked in with me and Mica has yet to show up. Celeste, is there any reason he would suspect your escape?” 
“Huh?” shit, what did he say? Oh yeah, a reason he’d think I was gone.
“Ah, no. I sent him on a wild goose chase hunting supplies for the spell he wanted. He should be gone a couple of days.”
Jacob’s gaze lingers on me, and I know he’s concerned. He has the same look Grayson gets, just less intense. Get your shit together, Celeste.
“Austin, Elliot, and... Jolene. Hit the streets. Find someone that will talk about Mica, er V. when you find someone or someone’s, bring’ em here. I have some questions of my own.”