chapter 25

Celeste 

No! not now, when I’ve finally decided to live.
I’m expecting a smug, calm lucifer; the picture of arrogance and suavity. Everything I loathe in a man like him. What I get is a very emotional and angry version. He’s no picture of perfection. Lucifers actually sweating and smudges of ash mar his complexion. Still, my anger jumps to the forefront.
“What am I doing here? You have no right!”
The earth shakes with his pending anger, and I widen my stance to stop from falling to the ground.
“Right? Might makes right! It’s your fault I’m back here.”
Oh, the nerve! If I knew his powers weren’t greater than mine, I’d burn him on the spot.
“You owe me. I told you I didn’t take your sister.”
Oh yeah, that. So, what? It’s not like he’s innocent. I’m sure he’s done his fair share of wrongful punishment. Call it karma.
“I only thought it was you because I was told by an angel. You and I both know angels can’t lie. You, on the other hand, have no qualms in that department.”
It's probably not a good idea to poke the devil, but he started it.
“Which angel told you that?”
What does that matter? Ah, I see. He’s testing me. Skepticism is written all over his face. At least his anger has dulled.
“Cael. The angel’s name was Cael. He was young, had a slight accent, and very nosy. Good enough description? Believe me now?”
Lucifer ignores my sarcasm and continues his series of questions.
“And when did he say that? Was it before or after I turned to ash?”
The question confuses me, and I blurt my answer before thinking.
“Before… wait. He was talking in riddles. I can’t remember what he said exactly, but I know he said she would be in your possession. What does it matter?” I say with a sigh of complaint.
“Ah, ha! Right there. Would be! that’s not present tense.” 
He says this in a high octave, like it’s supposed to mean something. He’s lost me. 
“The moment I turned to ash; I was released from this curse. I haven’t been Lucifer this whole time.”
A hot chill skitters up my spine. 
“You’re lying. If that’s true, then why are you here?” I question. Now I’m the skeptic. He’s got to be lying.
“I’m here because I’m bound.” he replies.
Yeah, because you're Lucifer. Wait. If he’s lucifer, then how could he rise again? When the devil dies on his land, his ruling is done, and another takes his place. Its common knowledge. If he’s handed a death blow anywhere else, he’s returned to his land, and it heals him. I did the spell here. He died here.
“The curse may be lifted, and I’m free of his duties, but I’m bound to this world until it has its replacement.”  
So that’s how it works? My eyes widen at the realization as my brain jumps to the first thought.
“Oh, no! I’m not taking your place!” I bark in sheer terror. He rolls his eyes with exaggeration.
“Get over yourself. I don’t pick my replacement. It’s fated. Even if I could, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy, and you’re not lucifer material, anyway.”
I breathe a sigh of relief, clutching my chest.
“So, who is?” I ask.
He shakes his head with bulging eyes aimed at me.
“Seriously? you haven’t put it together yet. Man, you 're dense.”
He’s annoying me now. How the hell would I know... oh my god, the angels… my sister… it’s Mica!”
I look up at him in shock at the realization. Why didn’t I connect the dots earlier? It all makes sense. The angels didn’t lie. I just assumed. Tricky bastards.
“And you 're finally caught up.”
Oh, I hate his sarcasm. It’s not like I haven’t had a shit ton to deal with. It doesn’t leave much room for thought. I turn that sarcasm back to him with an obvious question. 
“So why didn’t you just summon mica and not me?”

“Oh, why didn’t I think of that?”
he says it with enough sarcasm to make me grind my molars to dust.
“Don’t you think I would have if I could.” he adds.
I sigh, massaging my temples.
“What’s stopping you?” I ask, even though it’s obvious I don’t care and just want to leave.
“Power. He has it in spades. Not only is he a millennium old vampire, but he can sift and travel through worlds. I’d have to locate him and lead him here... He has to claim his place willingly.”
And he thinks I’m the one to help? He really is dumb. I want that bastard dead. Not here, living for eternity with bounds of power.
“He’ll never do that. He wants to dominate the world and turn humans into slaves. It’s been his mission for centuries.” I tell him matter-of-factly.
“Well, he doesn’t have to know what he’s claiming… he just has to agree.”
Ha, he’s unbelievable.
“So, you want me to find him, bring him back here and feed him some bullshit so he can; what? sign in blood.” I ask, taking my best guess.
“Close. The passing involves some magic. There’s a transfer of ownership of sorts written in an ancient language that only an experienced witch can recite. You don’t need to know the language. Just act as a vessel.”
Yay! More black magic! Yeah, I don’t think so.
“Sorry, not my problem.” I tell him.
“Hey!”
He stomps up to me, closing the safe distance I’ve kept throughout our heated conversation, and gets in my face. I gather magic to blast him off, but nothing happens. That’s my first real taste of fear. 
“You owe me, witch! It’s because of you that I missed my chance. You held me for no reason. I never even heard of your sister... This is the least you can do.”
“Hold on. Back up. What do you mean you missed your chance?”
He gives me an iota of space, straitening to his full height, and I let out a breath of air.
“If I was here.” he says with a pointed glare at me before continuing.
“Mica would have appeared the moment my ashes rose; initiating a transfer of powers, but thanks to you-”
I get another glare.  
“No one showed. The powers are bound to the land... If I leave, I can’t access them, and I’m stuck in limbo forever; waiting for him if he ever appears.”
“Yeah, you really are screwed.” I mumble; easing backward. He smiles, and it’s anything but friendly. It feels like he’s about to swallow me whole, then he does; figuratively.
“That’s why I can’t let you leave. You’re my ticket to freedom in more ways than one.”
Shit, shit, shit. I’m really in a pickle. Can he do that? Hold me here?
“How’s that?” I ask. Partly as a distraction, while I’m searching for the direction of the portal out of here, and also because I’m curious.
“Your mate is my ace in the hole. He’d do anything to save you.”
His satisfied smile makes my stomach churn. I bolt, making a run for the only light in this eerie place. Seconds later I’m pulled by a force and suffer the same dizzying feeling when I was summoned; just less intense. 
“Let’s get this over with, shall we?”
He plops me down, and I look longingly at the exit, then back at him. Running full tilt, I slam into the portal and hit a hard wall, bouncing back. His cruel laughter is the last thing I hear before I lose consciousness.