chapter 31

Celeste 

I hate airports. They’re always jam-packed, slow as hell, and stuffed full of miserably impatient people. It’s why I always splurge on first class. Bigger seats and more space. Not to mention faster service. 
I flash the attendant my ticket, rushing to board the plane. On the way by, I pick the friendliest attendant, complimenting her shoes. She instantly likes me. I plead with her to bring a stiff drink and keep’em coming', discreetly slipping her a fifty. She winks, displaying a cheerful smile. Just like that, I’ve guaranteed a pleasant flight. 
I’m nervous and it’s not because I’m flying.  My life is changing so quickly, and changes terrify me no matter how good they may be. Letting Beth go is another big one I wasn’t prepared for. My gut tells me she’s in the best place for her. I’m hoping seeing it with my own eyes gives me reassurance and a sense of closure.  I knew the moment I decided to come; it was as much for my benefit as it was for hers.
I doze off after three drinks. I think my anxiety drained my remaining energy. When I wake, it’s to the woman on my left, gently pushing my shoulder. 
When I’m sitting in the cab, it occurs to me that I feel lonely without Grayson at my side. I laugh out loud at the thought, causing the cabbie to startle and give me an odd glare. To think I couldn’t wait to get rid of him just days ago. It’s been a couple of hours, and I already miss him. 
When the cab pulls up, Beth greets me with a warm hug. The first thing I notice is her dazzling smile. The second thing that stands out is her hair and clothing.  My little underdeveloped tomboy has curls in her hair and a burgundy skirt on her slightly widening hips. I pull back to get a better look.
“Arkansas agrees with you. You look stunning, Beth.”
She punches my arm with a snort. There’s my tomboy.
“Well, you know, it’s never too late to make a change.” She says awkwardly. 
Oh my, I know that look. There’s a boy involved. I knew there was more than one thing keeping her here. I don’t give my knowledge away yet. I’ve got two days to get to that.
“Where is this grandma of yours?”
The first night flies by before I know it. Beth introduces me to Frances. Her very sweet and extremely opinionated grandmother. She’s a bit stuffy but loves Beth to bits. We stay up late so she can tell me all about Adam; her new Bae. By three am we’ve eaten so much sugar, I wake up with a headache.
Grayson texts me every hour, just checking in, and Beth drags me around town all morning until Frances calls her home for lunch. With just hours from my flight, I already know I’m going to miss her. 
“Try them. They’re not bad.” Beth says low enough for only e to hear while Frances fills the kettle for a second tea.
I eye the cucumber sandwich before accepting it on a small porcelain plate. It’s been so long since I’ve had one, I can’t even remember if I like them.
My phone rings, distracting me. It’s Grayson. He usually texts, and it hasn’t even been a full hour since he last contacted me.
“Counting down the minutes?” I blurt into the phone with a chuckle.
“Celeste! Your sisters here.”
I drop my phone I’m in shock and scramble to pick it up. I hear Grayson’s concerned voice calling my name.
“I’m sorry. I dropped the phone. Are you looking at her right now? Like you’ve seen her with your own eyes?”
There’s a pause that drives me crazy. Just before I’m about to yell his name, Grayson finally answers.
“No, and yes.”
He’s so vague it’s not like him, and it’s beginning to freak me out. His tone is all off, too. He should be excited for me. 
“What’s going on, Grayson? What aren’t you telling me? Is she hurt? Is that it?”
“No, nothing like that.”
“Well, then put her on the phone. I want to talk to her.”
Grayson doesn’t say anything. I quickly glance at the screen to make sure we’re still connected. 
“She’s upset right now, but she’s safe… there’s something you should know, but it’s not my place to say. Actually, two things; I think. I just thought you should know she’s safe and at the complex.”
This is all wrong. Why do I feel like something terrible has happened?
“I’m getting the next flight out. I’ll be home as soon as I can.”
I hang up and explain to Beth, whose excitement fails to ignite mine. Something isn’t right, and until I see her with my own eyes, there’s no way I’m shaking this feeling. 
I get a coach seat on a connecting flight at the last minute. For double the price of my round trip, but it gets me home seven hours and fifty-six minutes sooner, and it’s worth every penny.
I message Grayson when I get in the cab, only to see I have nearly two hundred missed calls and about a hundred messages. All from Grayson. Before I even type the message, his call shows up on the screen. Shit, when I dropped the phone, I must have turned off the volume. I answer the call, and his relief is palpable.
“Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I’m fine. What’s the big deal?”
“Where are you right now?”
I pause and look around. 
“I’ll be pulling up in front of the complex in like five minutes. Why?... hello?... hello?”
The line goes dead, and I scroll through the texts. Most of them are angry, some pleading and a few threatening. I have to scroll to the first few before I realize why.
Mica is looking for me… Shit!
Ah! My door is ripped open, and I’m pulled from the vehicle. An instant surge of power fills my hands just as I’m about to become a live electric force field. I realize it’s Grayson who’s got me. 
He throws the cabbie a hand full of money and drags me down the street. 
“Where is he? Is he coming after my sister too?... GRAYSON! Talk to me.”
He stops spinning around to face me. 
“I don’t know, but I have to get you back to the complex where you’re safe.”
I stop arguing and run with him. When we get inside, he explains.
“Mica has Lucifer’s power. They’re sharing it.”
What? is that even possible?
“Shit, I’m not supposed to tell you that just don’t repeat it. You need to know he’s dangerous and petty. Jacob believes he’ll go after you next, and Jacobs rarely wrong with this kind of thing.”
“Celeste?”
My baby sister peeks out from behind the door in that instant, everything is forgotten, and I run to her.
“AMBER!”