chapter 22

Grayson 

“Do you want the good news or the bad news first?”
I stand off to the side as Jacob focuses on Celeste, waiting for an answer. 
“Bad.”
This isn’t at all how I thought it would go. Meaning Amber’s rescue and Celeste’s feelings towards me. Whatever happened between the time we picked up Beth to this morning has made her cold. Or was it last night? Did she possibly overhear something that made her upset?
“She’s stuck in a world that we can’t access.”
“How the fuck is that rescued?”
Good question. I look at Jacob, who glares at me.
“I didn’t say she was, I just said he found her.”
Oops. Thinking back to the conversation, I remember him saying Estevan located her and is with her now. I guess I just assumed. Don’t I feel like an asshole. That’s twice already this morning. I need to explain to her the moons pull on me. Seeing her in that position a night before the full moon... I’m surprised I could stop at all. I may need to lock myself up after all. Then who would be there to protect her?
“The good news is she’s safe with Estevan and far from Micas clutches.”
That seems to give her some form of calm, but I can see her wheels are turning. 
“There’s something else… and you’re not going to like it.”
That can’t be good. I know that face. Whatever it is, even Jacob thinks it’s bad and nothing phases him.
“I think you should sit down for this.”
Sweat glistens on Celeste’s forehead as she shakes her head from side to side.
“Just tell me, I can handle it. As long as she’s alive.”
“That’s the thing, Celeste, he did something that can’t be undone.”
Jacob points to the sofa, and celeste puffs out a breath, plopping down dramatically. I have an inkling of what Jacob means to say, but it’s too terrible to imagine. I hope I’m wrong.
“Mica has turned her.”
Shit! I hoped that wasn’t the case. I look at Celeste, who seems to be unaffected by the revelation. In fact, she seems to be waiting for the bad news. Was she already a vampire? I’d think that would be a fact that would have come up. If she was, how would he so easily overpower her.
“Turned her? What does that mean? Oh my god! Do you mean? Is she? HE MADE HER A FUCKING VAMPIRE!”
And the ball has dropped. Celeste gets up pacing, wearing a track on the floor.
“How is that even possible? Was it painful and what does it mean? She drinks blood now?”
My heart aches for her. She looks so distraught. I walk toward her and she holds a finger in my direction.
“Don’t!” she warns me. I fall back and Jacob looks between us before attempting to help.
“Yes, essentially that’s what it means... those are all good questions celeste but I can’t answer for her personal experience. You’ll have to ask her when she gets back.”
“And when will that be?” Celeste says, stopping her steady pacing to place her hands on her hips and stand before Jacob. The situation is uncomfortable. I want to help, but she’s not having it, apparently.
“I don’t know. Estevan didn’t give me a lot of information. I got the feeling they were in a rush. I can assure you she is safe.”
Even I can hear the unsaid ‘for now’ following that sentence.
“If you know nothing..., how can you be so sure, hmmm?”
Jacobs getting mad. I can see it in his face.
“Because Estevan would not lie to me. Have care Celeste, I can understand you frustration, but remember I’m trying to help you. Your sister is stuck in a world nothing like anything we’ve encountered. Estevan is risking his life to bring her back safely. I trust he’s competent in this or he would not assure me... These things take time.” 
“Yeah, I know all about time. Thanks.” celeste anger sky rockets as she turns on her heels storming out of the room. I follow her into the hallway, clasping her arm.
“Where are you going?”
She tugs her arm free, and her hands glow, distracting me.
“I need space, all right? I’ll see you later.”
Something in her tone tells me the last part is a lie. I try again without force. My words tone is pleading.
“It’s not safe yet. Mica’s still out there, he could still hurt you.”
Celeste turns back to me, driving her heels in the floor and points at me. Her anger is such a turn on I want to pull her down on top of me and make use of it. I feel like a bastard for thinking that way at a time like this. Which just adds to my guilt.
“My sister is safe. You heard Jacob. If mica comes after me... Let him try! I dare him. I’m not the helpless girl you think I am, Grayson. I can take care of myself. Besides... I’m heartless, remember.”
My eyes widen with recognition. She heard us. I knew something made her upset. Why didn’t she say anything?
“Celeste!” 
I go to follow her, but Jacob pulls me back.
“Don’t. She needs space. You’re going to ruin any chance you have if you don’t give her what she’s asking for.”
I know he’s right, but I don’t care. I can’t risk her getting hurt... or worse. I take one step before Jacob says something that gives me pause.
“I made that mistake before and it cost me the only woman I’ve ever loved.”
I can’t just hear his pain, but he somehow pierces it through me and I get a glimpse of the heartache inside him. I swallow, looking back toward the door, away from him. For an instant it felt like my existence was punishment, the pain inside me so overwhelming breathing was like torture.
“Is it always like that?” I ask, unable to look at him in fear of feeling it again too soon. I couldn’t imagine that pain for minutes on end, let alone centuries.
“Not always, but often. I’ve learned to live with it.”
I hear Celeste drive off and pray to the gods she stays safe. I promised to never let her out of my sight. It’s funny, I’ve waited years to find her. My mate. I always thought that was the hard part, but I’m learning now that the hard part is loving someone. And I thought doing something that goes against every fiber of your being was hard... No, letting her go has got to be the hardest thing I’ve ever done.