chapter 21

Celeste

I’m hiding out in my own house. They have ordered a pizza and taken over my living room with some kind of dysfunctional slumber party. Never has it been so hard to keep my distance. This is a first. I find myself fighting the urge to join them. How did my life get so screwed up, and when did I start to enjoy change? I think it’s time I admit I’m his mate, and he’s not going anywhere. The only question is... How am I going to respond?
I can run and hide, maybe seek another coven somewhere far away with a different name thanks to Virgina; bitch. Or I can change all the rules I’ve lived by that helped me survive and bare myself to him. Depend on someone, share my thoughts and feelings. Nope. I’m not there yet. I just need my sister back, then I’ll be able to figure out my life. Screw it! I need a distraction.
Tiptoeing down the stairs; I do a little eavesdropping of my own. Beth’s hushed giggles make me remember my sister and our short moments together. Since the age of eight, after... my powers came to light. I was sent to Margaret. It was seldom I could visit my family. Amber always welcomed me with open arms my parents feared me. Idiots. If I only my grandma was still alive, my life could have been different, but people fear what they don’t understand. Even if it is your flesh and blood and I wonder why I have trust issues.
“That was the last one, you’re the most normal of them all.” 
Beth’s voice carries over the banister, and I narrow my eyes. She’s talking about me? I’ll strangle her!
“Has she loved any of them?” Grayson asks, hanging on her every word. I wouldn’t be surprised if I turn the corner and see him with a notepad and pen in hand.
“Nah, I don’t even think she’s capable of it. She’s what you’d call broken, at least that’s what Margaret said. My guess is, it happened at a young age.”
A sharp hot knife cuts through my chest. She thinks I’m broken? Margaret thought I was broken? No! Maybe I was broken but I put myself together again; stronger, fiercer. I’m not a victim anymore! That doesn’t mean I can’t love. It just means no one is worthy of it. Or can be trusted.
“You’re never going to get her to willingly stay with you. It’s a lost cause. The moment she even thinks you 're catching feelings, she’ll ghost you. Believe me, I’ve seen it a dozen times.”
Beth makes me sound cold and heartless... am I? Is that how the world sees me? Could it be I’ve become as cold as my parents? 
“Celeste!” 
Grayson spots me on the stairs and I look at him with eyes so wet he’s blurry. I hadn’t even realized I’m about to cry. I stand there a long moment, taking in their faces before shutting down every emotion that’s not anger. One wretched, spiteful tear falls and I curse it solemnly.
“What’s wrong?” 
I shrug Grayson off as cold as ever and make my way to the kitchen.
“Allergies.” I say, easily lying. I don’t care if they believe it or not. I berate myself for ever taking an interest. It doesn’t matter who a person is or how close you are, they will always stab you in the back. My flesh and blood threw me away like trash at the first sign of difficulty. Why in the world would some intangible bond made up of hormones and chemicals be any different. He’ll forget about me just like everyone else who’s declared false love, only to wait until something better comes along. Love doesn’t exist…
“Celeste... Celeste!”
What the hell? Some soon to be dead asshole is shaking the life out of me. Wait... where am I? I jolt awake with a bark of surprise to find I’m in my room, but Grayson is standing over me.
“You better have one hell of an excuse for being in here.” I tell him.
“Sorry, I thought you’d like to know Estevan has found your sister. She’s with him now.”
Oh my god! I don’t believe it. I’m overwhelmed with excitement and joy. I throw my covers off, running around in the dark in search of my clothes. I’m so groggy, I don’t feel Grayson’s presence behind me until his growl fills my ears. At some point last night, I got very drunk and when I drink; I get hot. When I’m hot, well, you can fill in the blanks. I’m bent over the lounger at the foot of my bed, completely naked, with the moonlight glaring off my spread cheeks.
Grayson’s arm snakes around me, pulling me tightly to his hardness. I’m in such a position that my traction is zero to none. I’m truly at his mercy.
“Grayson! Now is not the time.” I tell him. Not just because of Amber, but because I’m done with him.
As if I haven’t spoken, Grayson locks a path up my back, inhaling deeply. His nails sharpen to claws as they dig into my hips. It’s the first time I’ve felt a trickle of fear around him.
His body thickens behind me and I can my neck to see his eyes glow like a wolf. What should scare the daylights out of me does the opposite. 
“Is she awake?”
I hear Beth’s impatient voice coming up the stairs. It’s enough to shake some sense into me. Just hours ago, they were talking about how heartless I am. In about two seconds, I’m going to earn the insult. I mule kick, hitting him square in the junk. He doubles over moaning and I clutch the bed as the lounger falls sideways beside him.
“Dude! What in the twisted-knuckle-berries, is going on in here?”
She turns the light on and I spot my clothes on the quilt I was under.
“Whoa, sorry Celeste.” Beth says awkwardly, stepping out of eyesight.
“Did he try to… you know, against your will?”
She almost sounds concerned.  Although it’s pretty much the gist of it. I don’t want her thinking of him like that.
“He’s not that dumb. He just startled me.”
She peeks her head back in and relaxes now that I’m fully dressed.
“Good to know. Never wake Aunt Celeste, check.” 
Grayson stops his moaning, uttering an apology and thanks. I tell him to save it and dish me details.  I’ve been waiting years for this day.
“I can’t. Estevan didn’t give them to me. He gave them to Jacob. We’re going to have to go over.”
“Does he or doesn’t he have her?” I say, with obvious frustration.  
“He does. I just don’t have any details and Jacob never talks business over the phone.”
We take his car because he believes I’m in no state to drive. I kind of feel bad for inflicting pain on him, but it was also great therapy.
On my end, anyway.