chapter 23

Celeste

I’m going to find Mica and slowly kill him. He thinks he can ruin my baby sister and just walk away? He’s got another thing coming. 
I pull up to the caves in hopes he’s here. Although my gut tells me he’s moved on from the place, it’s perfect for a location spell. Results are faster in a previously occupied area.  I think of all the painful ways I can torture a vampire. My stomach churns when I think of the possibility he’s done them to Amber. What is the point of turning her? How could he be so cruel?
My energy has dulled since Lucifer’s charge, and it takes a fair amount of concentration to get any movement from my pendant, but when I do; it’s all wrong.  Instead of pinpointing an area, it seems to be… traveling.  mica must be traveling between worlds at this very moment. 

I’m going to stop location spells all together. I can’t remember the last time it’s done me any good. My guess is he won’t be back here. Even if I thought I was unstoppable, I wouldn’t stay in a location that my enemies are aware of. Now that I’ve had a bit of time to calm down, what I’m doing is dangerous. Sure, I’m capable and talented, but am I really strong enough to take on a millennium old vampire? By myself?
What’s wrong with me? I’m always running. I’ve always thought it was towards something, but it’s time to face the truth. I’m running away. Away from anyone one or anything that makes me feel. So, my parents didn’t want me. So, what! They’re assholes. I deserve love. There’s nothing wrong with me.
“I’M NOT HEARTLESS!”
I scream it into the dessert, and the relief I feel makes me weak. I’m done fighting. There’s nothing left of me inside. If I keep down this road, I’ll never be happy, and I damn well deserve to be. I admit it. I finally admit I want my slice of heaven. I want to let go of my anger, break the distance, and finally love. I love Grayson! I love Beth like a daughter. Hell, I want kids of my own. A dozen of them I can spoil and tell them I love them every day. I want a future with a damn wolf. I laugh out loud at how crazy it all sounds, but it’s true. I spent so long searching for my sister that when she was finally found; I think I lost purpose. That’s what scared me. And Grayson, oh Grayson, the moment I saw him, he was chipping away at the wall I built around my heart. 
I should go home and see Beth, take care of the things I can while waiting for my sister. Mica’s time will come, but it isn’t something I can handle on my own. I should also call Grayson and apologize. I’m still kind of pissed he went behind my back to get information, but he’s a guy. They’re not very smart. I think it’s time for a change.
“What the fuck!”
I scramble up as the earth rumbles beneath me. My body feels light and when I look down, my hands become transient. Oh my god, I’m being summoned. Who the fuck?... 
One moment I’m sitting in the desert with the blistering sun in my face, the next I’m in a desolate darkness. I stutter, catching my footing and take a deep breath. Bad idea. I instantly gag on the foul stench. My first thought is Mica. He’s taken me prisoner just like my sister, but to my surprise, Lucifer appears before me.
“Hello Celeste, how nice of you to drop by.”