𝟏𝟒: 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥

❦

𝐌𝐀𝐄𝐕𝐄 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐌

"Back off, Cassian," I grumble, pulling away from his grasp.

I was not in the mood.

He huffed through his nose and walked around the front of his car. "Get in the car," he demands, the look in his eyes telling me he was not messing around.

But I decided to test his patience; to press his buttons and see how much I could get away with. I crossed my arms across my chest and popped my hip out, looking off to the side.

"Maeve, get in the car and I won't tell you again," Cassian grits, walking back around to my side and opening the car door.

I glared at him, lifting my chin. "Tell me who she is," I murmured barely above a whisper, but we heard me.

He sighed, biting the inside of his cheek. "Get in the car and I'll tell you."

I didn't look at him, but I got in the car. He looked side to side as he shut the door and walked around the front to his side. The smell of his smokey cologne filled the air as he got in, shutting the door and roaring his Porsche to life.

He checked his mirrors before pulling back out on the street. "That was her...my college ex," he mumbles, almost as if he was still trying to process that he'd just seen her.

Oh. Now that makes sense.

"...Oh," I murmured, slowly looking over to see numbness in his eyes.

"I understand if you're confused or if-"

"I get it, Cassian...I'm sure you're in shock," I reassure him.

He stopped at a red light, running his hand over his scruff. "You don't even know," he says, shaking his head. "I didn't see a ring on her finger, so I guess she never ended up with him."

"Him?" I ask, reaching for his hand that wasn't on the wheel.

He immediately grabbed it and I squeezed it comfortingly. "Yeah," he sighs. "When she was interning for this hedge fund the summer between our junior and senior year, I went to surprise her for lunch one day...to find her bent over a meeting room table getting railed by one of the head partners."

I dropped my jaw, trying to process it all as it flowed out of his mouth.

What the hell?