36

~Jennie's P.O.V.~

"Nini? Why didn't you tell me?" Gabe says as soon as he rushes in the waiting room.

After Taehyung, and I came back in the waiting room, Matt took us all in Layla's room to visit her before she fell asleep. We came back here to make sure she rests well.

I stand up off of the recliner and wrap my arms around his waist. "What are you talking about? I called you."

He hugs me back, then when he pulls back, he cocks his head to the side in confusion. "No you didn't. I didn't get a call from anyone."

"Then how did you know that we was here?" I ask.

"I texted him." Matt says from behind me. "He is family, after all."

Gabe's lips grow in a massive smile and walks around me to give, Matt, a man hug...You know, one of those one arm hugs.

"We've missed you man." Gabe says to Matt.

Matt smiles and stuffs his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, I've missed you all too. But, you know how I had to get away from a few things." His eyes flick to Mom for a second, who's sitting on the couch, smiling at something that's on her Blackberry. She hasn't even noticed, Gabe yet. I look over at Taehyung, who's sitting on the floor since there's not enough couches or chairs. He's staring at Gabe, like Gabe's the scariest man on earth.

Taehyung looks over at me and gives me a half smile, half grimace.

I give him a small smile.

"I understand." Gabe says to Matt, grabbing my attention back from Taehyung, to their conversation. Gabe notices that I wasn't looking at them, and flicks his eyes over to Taehyung. "What is he doing here?" He whispers harshly, still looking at Taehyung.

I bite my bottom lip. "He gave me a ride here, since you didn't answer your phone."

Matt's eyebrows raise and Gabe pulls his new phone, that he had to buy thanks to me, out of his back pocket. "I didn't get nothing. " He says, shaking his head at his phone. "See?"

He shows his phone to me, and the only missed call that he has, is from his Dad. "But, I did call you." I check my pockets for my phone, and I can't feel my phone. "Wait. Where is my phone?"

"You must've left it in my car." Taehyung speaks up.

All of our heads turn to him...Including my Mom's.

He rolls his eyes. "What? Just sayin'"

"What did you leave in his car?" My Mom asks, curiously, still not noticing Gabe.

I laugh quietly at her. "My phone, Mother." I turn to, Taehyung. "I'm going to go get my phone, okay?"

He stands up and stretches his legs. "Ah, okay. But, I'll come with."

I shake my head no. "No, you can stay here..I'll be right back."

"Yes, " Gabe says, snaking his arms around my shoulders, and giving him a tight smile. "Stay here."

I elbow Gabe in the stomach. "Gabriel, stop it."

He sucks in a breath and takes his arm off my shoulders. "Sorry." He mumbles. I raise my eyebrows at him and he laughs. "And don't call me, Gabriel."

I smile and stand up on my tippy toes and kisses his cheek.

"Ew! Cooties!" Gabe yells, then pushes me away from him.

"Hey!" I push him back. "Don't push me!"

"Yeah, don't push my baby sister!" Matt pushes me. "Only I can push her."

They start arguing over who, can push who, then Mom starts yelling at them to be quiet, and during this process, I grab Taehyung's arm. "Come on. Lets go." I whisper, so they don't notice. His lips pull up into a smirk, then he grabs my hand and we tip toe pass Matt, and Gabe.

"I'm so glad we're out of there!" Taehyung says, as soon as I open the car door. "I didn't know Gabe was going to be here."

'I didn't neither' I think.

"If you knew he was going to be here, would you have stayed?" I ask him, while bending down under the passengers seat, trying to find my phone.

"Um, probably not.."

I laugh and lift my head up to look at him. "He's not a bad person, you know. He's just protecting me."

He sighs and laughs bitterly. "Yeah, from me."

I smile when I feel my phone. "Yes!" I grab it and sit up. "Well, look at all you've done to me. What if you had a best friend, who everyone picked on? I think that you're pretty lucky that I'm even talking to you."

He doesn't say anything and his eyes cloud over with guilt. "Gosh, Jennie." He runs his hand through his hair with frustration.

Did I just get to him?

He bangs his fist against the hood of the car. "Jen, I didn't mean to do anything that I did to you."

I'm quiet for a few seconds. "You always say that though, Taehyung. Always. Why should I believe you now? I mean, I almost killed myself because of you. And what do you go and do? You make a idiotic bet that you could get me to be your girlfriend easily. Why should I belive you, huh?"

I stand up out of the car and start to walk away.

We have the same argument all the time, and I'm sick of it.

I stuff my phone in my front pocket, right before he grabs my shoulder. "Jennie, please listen to me. Just..Just for a second."

I close my eyes, willing for the tears to go away and turn around to face him. "What?" I ask him. "Go ahead and tell me."

And he does. He tells me his whole life.

From the time his Dad was the king of the school and had his Dad loved it, to the time he made the bet. He tells me the time he first saw me at school, with my hair in pigtails and I had freckles all over my nose from the summer sun. And how he felt there was something about me...Something that he liked and wanted to get closer to. But, he was scared. So, he decided to try not to be around me.

But, he couldn't. Especially he couldn't when he met, Mike. Mike and his group wanted to make fun of me, because they thought it was funny. And at first, he thought it was funny too. But, also, he thought it was cute when he saw me become mad. He thinks I'm adorable when my face gets red with fury.

"-And it became worse when, Ryan died. Dad, wanted me to be popular. If I'm not popular, I get punished. I'm so sorry, Jennie. I really am." He looks up at me with pleading eyes.

And do you want to know what the funny part is?

I think he means all of it.