40

~Jennie's P.O.V.~

"Why aren't you talking to me?"

Ignore him.

"Come on. Why are you ignoring me?"

I roll my eyes and continue staring out the window, at the rising run.

He's been bugging me since I came back from of Layla's room. Of course I'm not going to answer him. Did he forget what happened outside?

I hear him sigh and mumble something, then I feel him plop down on the couch besides me. I'm not going to let him boss me around. And that's exactly what he was doing to me outside.

"Isn't Matt's baby so sweet?" Mom gushes. "She looks just like Matt."

She's talking to me?

I look around the waiting room, and see that Dad is still asleep on the recliner, and Gabe's sound asleep on the floor.

"Who?" I point to myself, in disbelief. "Me?"

She laughs at me. "Well, of course I'm talking to you."

I raise my eyebrows. "Oh. Okay."

Mom scrunches up her eyebrows. "Why wouldn't I talk to you? You're my daughter."

"Because," I sigh and lean my head back against the back of the couch. "You...You don't talk to me a lot."

"I'm busy a lot, Honey."

I shake my head. "I know that, but even when you're not busy...You still don't talk to me." I don't know why I'm telling her this. Maybe it's the less amount of sleep that I've had. "It's like...You hate me."

Mom opens her mouth, but stops when Taehyung quickly stands up. "I'm gonna go check my car.You know, to make sure that no one has, um, stole it."

He throws me a quick smile before rushing out.

I look back over at Mom and she watches Taehyung walk out, before speaking. "Is that what you think? That I hate you?"

I look down at me lap and nod. "Yes. You've always picked at me and my clothes. You've never liked anything that I have done."

Mom stands up and sits next to me where Taehyung was sitting. "Jen, I could never hate you." She picks up my hand and she places it in-between her hands. "I love you, Sweetie. I just try to make you be the person that I know you can be."

"But, I am the person that I want to be, Mom. "

She thinks for a second before she speaks. "You really don't want to look like you used to, do you?" She picks up a strand of my hair gently. "With frizzy hair, big clothes that don't even fit you, and glasses that cover your beautiful eyes?"

I shake my head yes. "Yeah. I do-or I did."

"But," She cocks her head to the side. "You always had people picking on you, and your only friend's were Gabe and Monica. Then when Monica left, all you had was Gabe. You've never had a boyfriend, and it worries me, Baby." She gently pulls me to her in a hug. "I just wanted you to be happy, and have friends. Be a teenager. Have your first heart break. Go to a party." She pulls away from me. "Be different from what I was when I was your age."

I furrow my eyebrows together. "I thought that you was popular when you was a teen." At least that's what she always told me. "'Cause you're all the time saying, 'When I was your age, I did this, had this, or looked like this.'"

Mom sighs and looks away from me. "Honey, when I was your age, I was a nerd. A big nerd. My best friend was the math book."

What?