Chapter 18

Niall's POV

"Niall, do you want to help me make some cookies?" Zayn's mum asked me. They had been here for four days already, and so far I didn't think that there would be a problem with them not liking me. I just keep my distance from her though, some of my instincts coming in to play to not get attached and to make sure she won't know the real me.

I went over to where she had just pulled out some flour and sugar. She smiled at me before telling me the measurements of things to put in the large bowl. She told me funny stories about Zayn growing up as we baked. All I really did was just put what she told me in the bowl and stood there listening to her stories.

"He was so hyper all the time. I took him to the doctor to see what was wrong with him and apparently he had overdosed on vitamin C. He's strange I tell you." I laughed quietly as she began mixing the ingredients with her hands. I got on the counter so I could see better before clearing my throat.

"Zayn has a mixer thingy that you could use." I offered to her. She shook her head and continued to make dough in her hands.

"It takes away from the actual backing if you do that. And why does he have something like that?" I shrugged at her because I've been wondering the same thing for a while now. She laughed, then turned away from me to go put some flour on the table so we could roll and cut them out. I dipped my finger on the sugar cookie dough and tasted it. It was really good, but it made me sad because my mum would make these for Christmas. Immediately, I started to push down those thoughts and begin occupy myself by helping cut out the cookies.

After getting them all on cookie sheets and in the oven, we both sat at the kitchen table. Zayn's mum smiled at me before reaching across the table and moving some of my hair off my forehead. I looked down at my hands at her action before looking back up at here.

"So, how long have you both been together?" She asked me. I smiled at her before sitting up straighter.

"A week or somewhere around there, but we were closer before that. We just didn't really do anything about it." I told her. She nodded before I decide now would be a good time to ask her what I've been meaning to.

"I, uh, found something for Zayn that I wanted to get him. Well, like, you could get it for him and say it's from you too, I just want to see if he likes it." I told her nervously. She shook her head before getting up and getting her purse. She pulled out her wallet and her phone before sliding both across the table to me.

"If it's at the store, then let's go shopping for it. I know your predicament with money, but if you want to get my son something, I'll definitely help you out." She told me. I smiled before getting her phone and looking up the gift I want for my boyfriend. I gave her back the phone and waited for her response. When she looked at it, she smiled at me before standing up and going to the oven to get the cookies out.

"Get your shoes and coat, we're going shopping. It says that it's sold in stores." She told me. I listened to her orders. I heard her on the phone as I walked to the front door and waited for her to finish.

"Zayn, we're fine! You keep the girls busy, lord knows I need a break." She chuckled on the phone. She shook her head before telling Zayn she loved him then hung up.

As we drove to the mall, we were both pretty quiet. To me, it was because I was afraid I would say something and she would hate me. Once we parked, she looked over at me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Niall, you have made Zayn change so much. He's never been able to be in relationships or even think about them. He was so angry and troubled for so many years, I was afraid one day I would find him in prison. He eventually found his way in life, but I think he just now found his purpose." Some unwanted tears fell on her cheeks. I undid my seat belt before hesitantly hugging the woman.