Chapter 21

Zayn's POV

It has been two months since I sent back the packet saying I accepted the job that Louis had pretty much gotten me. I had just gotten a phone call back last night that was saying I would start my work by being a psychiatrist working with teenagers as out patients at the local counseling office, but I told them that was all I wanted. Of course, they said they wanted to assure me of opening my own practice soon and not settling for less. I'm not settling, I'm just not sure I could own my own business.

I walked down the hallway from my classroom to the principal's office so I could give him my notice of resignation. I pictured it would be a simple thing to do, but this man is very intimidating to me. He's just one of those people that are closed off, yet they will slowly open when they need to stab you in the back.

I nocked on the door of his office before sticking my head him. He looked at me and smiled, waving me in to go talk to him. I took a seat in front of his desk, then waiting for him to put his papers down so we could have a conversation.

"What brings you here, Mr.Malik?" He asked me. I pulled out the packet from my messenger bag, handing it to him.

"I'm putting in my notice of resignation. I had been offered a job a few months back, but only received complete confirmation the spot was mine last night. I hope that this will be enough time to fill my spot." I told him. He looked at me like he was about to blow up with anger, but he seemed to control that as he handed me back the packet I had handed him that he briefly looked over.

"May I ask what are the reasons behind this? You're a great teacher, and the students have very much enjoyed you. I didn't think you were unhappy in this job." He asked me with a few explanations of his confusion. However, I knew that I have been becoming unhappy with this job because I know that I want to be proud that I have Niall as my boyfriend, but I can't be. I also have a problem with everyone in this whole school hating me and judgment my laid back teaching technique. It's not fun to go to work where people will look at you like you're a nut case and will lash out any second just because you sit on your desk instead of a chair.

"I've just felt this isn't somewhere I belong. I want to make connections with each student, yet everyone seems to look at that as a bad thing. I'm tired of you all not seeing there's something wrong with a student just because they get good grades. Maybe it's this school or this job I'm not happy with, but I really appreciated this experience of teaching because I got to see some students that were crying for help and begin completely ignored. I got to help them, and I realized that's what I need to be doing." I told him, only thinking of how angry I was that it took so long to get Niall help. He's been homeless for two years and never once did anyone say something. To me, it's frustrating but I have to tell myself he's okay now and that's how he'll be forever.

"I didn't know you felt so strongly about this. So I guess we'll have to now discuss how this will effect Mr.Horan and his scholarship." I shook my head because my decision to quit this job had nothing to do with Niall's future.

"I already contacted the university before making my decision to make sure I could still be his sponsor teacher and everything was still secured. They said once he graduates, my work is done because he's not a student here anymore. I'm planing on finishing teaching this school year, then moving on." Principal Maxwell nodded, then sat back in his chair. We both stayed quiet, me just waiting for this crazy man to let me go home already.

Niall had already gone home in his own car that I got him, so I knew I wanted to get home fast to him. He's a great driver, but I'm worried that him being alone for a long time will make him leave or something. Also, today at lunch he told me he had allot of tests to study for and I know how he gets when he's stressed. He cries allot and I want to be there so maybe we can keep tears to a minimum.