Chapter 3

PART 11: BEING SMART

-YiChen's POV

Unknown stared at me for a second before saying, "Very well, you pass."

I glared at him and brought up the sword to his chin, "Just who are you talking to like that?" I hissed.

Unknown gulped and feebly said, "Easy, easy." Then turned his back to me and Jing Yi to face the boys.

-Unknown's POV

"You," I pointed at the shorter of the two. That girl was so scary!

-Tan Ying's POV

"Me? Oh, okay," I said.

"5 questions for you. What is the 16th decimal digit of the Greek symbol that represents P?"

"2, duh." I answered immediately.

"What tense is: For example, 'I have not spoken?' "

"This is easy," I say, complacently. "Past participle."

It had been easy so far. I can predict that it's not going to be easy...

"What do you call the thing that protects the axon of a neural cell?"

"The sheath,"

"What sheath?"

"The... myelin sheath?" I say, unsure.

"Four, when did the Sumerian civilisation fall?"

I think. I have been taught this in my Social Studies lesson 3 years ago. I just have to remember it.

What was it?

"2620 BC?"

"Wrong! One chance left!"

I remember now.

"2334 BC!"

"Last. It is a logic question that used to be viral on Earth, Singapore only, in fact, in April 2015."

That was incredible. It was like October 2291 and a question 276 years ago? That should be easy. Very easy.

"Listen clearly. 'Albert and Bernard have just met Cheryl. "When is your birthday?" Albert asked Cheryl. Cheryl thought for a moment and said, "I won't tell you, but I'll give you some clues". She wrote down a list of ten dates: May 15, May 16, May 19, June 17, June 18, July 14, July 16, August 14, August 15, August 17

"One of these is my birthday," she said. Cheryl whispered in Albert's ear the month, and only the month, of her birthday. To Bernard, she whispered the day, and only the day. "Can you figure it out now?" she asked Albert.

Albert: 'I don't know when your birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn't know, either.'

Bernard: 'I didn't know originally, but now I do.'

Albert: 'Well, now I know, too!'

So when is Cheryl's birthday?"

"Wow, this is tricky. It can't be on the 18th or the 19th given Bernard doesn't know. Neither can it be on June and May either, since Albert doesn't know. Since Bernard now knows, the date can't be 14, which has appeared twice. Three possibilities, August 15, August 17 and July 16. I think the answer is... Aug.... Wait, I'm so stupid. Albert now knows, so it can't be in August. The answer is July 16. There."

"Good job," Unknown said in a deep voice. The trio look at me in astonishment.

PART 12: WHEN PIGS FLY