Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Jogs the next morning were at 8:35. Only one horse didn't pass the inspection. Matt plaited down Rebound's mane, mom did his forelock, and Dee did his tail. During jogs I wore a Joules horse dress, light pink flats, and April helped fishtail my hair. We were accepted, and Rebound was full of himself. It was kind of nerve racking at first because I asked for a trot down the jog strip and he ended up cantering. But I managed to take back control and he calmed down. Eventing Nation voted Rebound and I the best turnout and best dressed, so that was pretty cool. I won a brand new pair of Dubarry rain boots, which was equally as cool.

Since show jumping goes reverse order of placing, and I was in fifth, my estimated jump time was 2:45. Mark wanted Rebound and I in the warmup ring by 2:15. The nerves were finally catching up to me and reality was setting in. I needed to distract myself.

I stand up from where I was sitting in front of Rebound's stall. "I'm gunna go get some lemonade." I tell mom, who was the only person at out stabling right now. Since it was almost lunch time, most people were getting food. The lemonade at the Kentucky Horse Park was amazing. It was freshly squeezed, and they added extra sugar which made it ever more sweet and delicious.

I start the long trek to the food court. "Need a ride?" Lainey Ashker, another top 4 star competitor, pulls up next to me on a golf cart.

I smile at her. "That be great. Thanks. I'm going over to the food court." She nods as I get in next to her.

"You know, for a Rolex rookie, you are doing pretty amazing. Your dressage was fantastic the other day." I cannot believe she knew who I was and actually watched my dressage.

"Thank you so much. My horse, Rebound, is amazing. He has never felt better."

"That's fantastic! Going into show jumping, you should be feeling pretty excited!"

I let out an inaudible sigh, "Mostly excited. A little nervous. I just don't want to mess up. I've had such a good weekend so far. I want to finish it off strong."

Lainey nods, turning the cart down the main road. "Understandable, but just think. This is your first Rolex, your first 4 star, and you are in fifth place. Barely anyone makes it to this level, and if they do, they don't place that well at their first international. Don't worry about the placings. When you get in the arena, the crowds disappear. It'll be just you and your horse. Just focus on getting around and the rest will fall into place." She stops the golf cart as close to the food court at she can get.

"Thank you so much. For the ride and the advice. I needed it." I smile at her and she gives me a hug.

"Now kick some ass this weekend." She whispers to me.

I grin. "You too!" I call out to her as pulls away. Once she is gone, I walk to the lemonade stand. Everything is crowded. It will take nothing short of forever to get a drink. Standing in line, I play with the credentials hanging on my neck. I feel people's eyes watching me.

"Nice boots." A voice says behind me. I was wearing the new Dubarrys I won at the jogs.

I turn around and blush. It was Boyd Martin, an olympian, successful, and handsome eventer. He was walking past me with two of his grooms.

"Thanks." I point at his shoes, the same exact ones I am wearing. "You too." Boyd won best dressed at the first jog out.

"Thanks!" He smiles and continues walking the other direction. I cannot believe such amazing riders are recognizing me! It is so weird.

As the line slowly moves up, people venture their way towards me, asking for pictures and autographs. Of course, I smile and do what they ask. Some little boy even gave me a picture he drew. It was Rebound and I jumping over a log. It wasn't the most accurate picture, but it meant a lot to me. I hug it close, like a good luck charm, before folding it up and putting it in my back pocket.

Finally, I get to the front. "One small lemonade with extra sugar." I tell the man behind the stand. I reach into my purse, searching for money. "On the house. Good luck today." He gives me a smile and hands me my drink.

"Oh my gosh, thanks!" I don't question it and take the drink. This day has been pretty great so far.

~

"Does Rebound have the open front jumping boots on?" I ask April as I slide into a pair of tall boots and buckle on spurs. I need to be mounted and walking over to warmups in less than five minutes. Everyone is rushing around, trying to get everything ready. Rebound is tacked, braided, and ready to go. And so am I. I just need to grab my bat and get on.

"Yep. Taking him out of the stall now." April leads Rebound over to the mounting block.

Mom walks up to me and squeezes me tightly. "What ever happens, I am so incredibly proud of you." Everyone wishes me good luck.

"Know your course?" Mark asks as I stick my foot into the stirrup. I nod at him. Mark and I walked the course once together last night. April, Matt, GiGi, and I walked it once before jogs, and I walked it alone after. The course obviously looks difficult, but nothing we haven't done before at home. It is just different in a competition environment. What I am most nervous about is the last triple combination. It is a two stride vertical to a vertical, then once stride to an oxer. Every year, people knock rails there. Barely anyone makes it around double clear. And with the scores so close together, a rail could mean the difference between top five and top twenty. Once I swing my leg over, GiGi wipes the dust off my boots.

"Looking sharp." She says, patting Rebound on the rump. April coats his hooves in polish.

"Thanks guys." I tell them. Clucking, Rebound and I start the trek to the arena, with the best crew anyone could ask for following behind.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hope you guys enjoyed! I really liked writing this chapter. Only two more chapters till the Rebound journey is over D:

If you ever visit the KHP, get their lemonade. It rocks.

Thanks for reading!