Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six

After the interview and autograph signing we head back to the barn. When we get back I notice Matt is studding Rebound and April and GiGi are brushing him.

I slip into my white Ariat full seat breeches and a black sunshirt in the tack room. Rebound and I have simple and professional cross country colors, black and white. I dont think my sponsors want me running around the cross country course at 4* in neon pink or rainbow. I then put on my tall boots and cross country watch and slip into a pair of roller ball spurs. Next I put on my black Charles Owen cross country vest black Point Two air vest, and on top of that my cross country pinny. Finally I put on my armband, Charles Owen skull cap, and white Roeckel gloves.

April helps me bring Rebound's tack out to his stall and I place my favorite Ecogold white cross country saddle pad that my sponsors just sent me. April then sets my cross country saddle on top of that and cinches up the girth while I attach my five-point breastplate. Matt finishes booting Rebound up in my sponsored Ecogold galloping and bell boots before slipping on his bridle. GiGi secures on the bridle number before leading Rebound out of the stall. I grab my bat and squirt some grippy spray on my boots before Mark gives me a leg up.

"Make sure to grap fly spray and grease and the vet box buckets, sponges, scrapers, and stud kit!" I shout to Matt as I exit the stabling on horseback.

"Ok we will meet you up there!" Matt shouts. "Good luck!"

~

"Ali get your gear going and jump over that log." Mark shouts to me at cross country warm ups. Dee and Mom secured a viewing spot with April down at the head of the lake. Matt and Mark stand in warm up with me while GiGi sets up our vet box.

Nodding to Mark, I turn Rebound around in the crowded warm up and squeeze him with my outside leg. He leaps into a flying gallop and I raise off his back. We make the turn to the four foot log and I lower from two point into three point. About eight strides out I sit down securely in the tack. With 'hugging' legs and following elbows, I give Rebound a defensive ride to the jump. With his ears perked forward, he takes off at the perfect moment. Allowing my body to follow Rebound, he takes off after the jump, ready for more.

"Great now slow him to a walk and head over here!" Mark cups his hands around his mouth and shouts to me.

I laugh at Rebound and give him a big pat as I walk over to Mark and Matt. He certainly knows what is about to happen!

"Matt spray him with fly spray and I will grease up his legs." Mark instructs. Mark slips on a plastic glove and spreads the blue mixture over all of Rebounds legs. Eventing grease will help the horse slide over the jump if they get stuck. Rebound impatiently stands while Matt sprays him.

Mark smiles up at me while taking of the glove. He pats my knee. "Excited?"

I grin at him. "Very much." I say, swallowing down the nerves. I know I shouldnt be nervous. Rebound practically eats cross country jumps for breakfast.

"Number 16 they are ready for you at the start box. Good luck!" The TD says to me. I head over to the start box with ansy Rebound, Matt, and Mark.

~

"30 seconds." The start box man says to me.

I walk Rebound in and out of the start box while waiting for the countdown.

"Ali the most important thing is to breath and ride smart. Dont push yourself or Rebound. If you get into a sticky situation, dont panick and take the option. You know whats best." I nod to everything Mark is saying but to be honest, I am not really listening. My mind is on the cross country course.

"Ten seconds." I take a deep breath and start my cross country watch. I stand still in the start box as Rebound does a nervous jig. I start my cross country watch. Every minute I am on course, the watch will beep, signifying how long I have until I reach optimum time.

"Nine, eight, seven, six, five, four..."

"Three" Lets do this.

"Two" We are ready.

"One" Time to win this thing.

"Have a great ride!" I collect up my reins and Rebound shoots out of the cross country box like a bullet.

"Thanks!" I shout before focusing back on the course. Everything else around me blurs. The spectator, judges, cameras, and the nerves. It is just me and Rebound. Game on.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hope you guys liked this chapter!! My high school starts on Monday so I am super pumped to be going back to school and seing all my friends :)