Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

"I'll groom and tack up Rebound when you are getting ready." Matt tells me, walking into the tack room back at the stables. After we finished our lunches we all came back here.

"Sure that would be great. Thanks!" I exclaim. I wait for Matt to grab a grooming bucket and my extra set of tack before I shut the door to change into riding clothes. I put on my favorite pair of grey schooling breeches paired with a navy heathered half zip fleece shirt and shining Ariat field boots. I put my hair up in a blond hairnet and set my grey Charles Owen on my head. I feel refreshed and ready to ride as I open the door. 

Rebound is calmly standing in the open aisle as Matt tightens up his girth. Thankfully I brought allong an extra bridle, saddle, girth, and pad in addition to my show tack. Beau looks shiny and ready for a nice hack around the property. I plan to trek him around the dressage complex, covered arena, and the Rolex arena. 

"Thanks again Matt." I say to him as he gives me a leg up into the saddle. I sit comfortably, putting my feet in the stirrups, letting the reins out to the buckle. Rebound stands there like a statue.

"Of course, Ali. That is my job. I'll be picking the stall. Call me if you need me." He hands me my phone and I place it in my breeches pocket. I would be totally lost without Matt. 

~

As Rebound ambles on the edge of the stone road of Cigar Lane at the Kentucky Horse Park, I close my eyes for a second. I take in the smells of freshly cut grass and horses. I listen to the sound of chirping birds, Rebound's shoes clicking on the street, and the chatter of spectators. In that second I am totally relaxed. I feel as if nothing has ever been wrong. I let the worries of the upcoming show drift away. 

I open my eyes and sadly fall back into reality. Rubbing Rebound's neck, I weave my way through the crowd. It is easy to spot the spectators from the people at the park. Most spectators are wearing or holding some sort of Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event souvenirs. People stop and stare at Rebound and I as if they have never seen a horse before. 

"Number 16, who is that?" I hear someone say after they look at the number on Rebound's bridle.

"Allison Michels and Back In Action." Someone else says, glancing in their Rolex information packet. It is weird to hear someone call Rebound by his show name and not his stable name.

"That is a gorgeous horse." The first person replies. Smiling to myself, I give Rebound another pat on the shoulder.

~

An hour and a half later I make my way back to the stables. Dee and Mark are sitting at the table, both reading. Dee is reading a book and Mark is looking through the Rolex information packet with a serious expression on his face. Matt is filling Rebound's water buckets. Once he sees me he stops what he is doing and walks over.

I kick my feet out of the stirrups and pop myself out of the saddle and onto the ground. Matt loosens the girth and wraps up the stirrups. I hand him Rebound's reins and he leads my horse into the stall to untack. It is weird to have someone at your assistance constantly.

I walk over to the table and stop in front of Mark. "Why so serious?" I ask him jokingly.

Mark looks up at me, setting the packet on the table. "Oh nothing. Just looking at the competitor list. There are 54 including you this year. How was your ride?" He asks me, changing the subject.

"Good. Everyone was staring at me." I say honesly. 

Dee gets up to use the restroom. I sit in the chair she was in. 

"You will get used to it. People are just trying to figure everything out. You know how it goes. They get excited and want to know who is who." Mark watches a horse being led past us as we talk.

I hear the familiar clicking of Rebound's shoes in the open aisle and I turn around. Matt is leading him to us. Rebound has his show number hanging on his bridle and the cooler attached loosely.

Matt looks at me and Mark. "Rebound was a little hot and sweaty so I put on his cooler and I am going to handwalk him around the even stabling a few times and let him graze in the grass for a little."

"Thanks Matt." I say to him. Matt smiles at me and walks past us, patting Rebound on the shoulder. 

"That kid loves you Ali." Marks eyes follow Rebound until he is out of sight.

"Yeah I love him too. He is my best friend." I agree with Mark.

"No, Ali. I mean he loves you that way, too. But he really loves you."

I stare at Mark, shocked by the words he has just spoken.

"Think about it, Al. Matt does anything for you, and always with a big smile on his face. He is there for you in times of need. If Drew would ever do anything to you, Matt would be there to pound his face in. He is happy for you and Drew but I know that deep down he is jelous of your relationship. If Drew wasn't in the picture you to would be together." I didn't expect Mark to say that.

With my mouth dry I start to speak. "Maybe things would be different if Drew wasn't in the picture but he is. I love both Matt and Drew, but in different ways. Matt is my best friend and Drew is my boyfriend." Mark nods to me. Somewhere inside of me I agree to what Mark has just said, no matter how wrong it feels.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Boring chapter but I hope you enjoyed :)

Kentucky Horse Park map in case you get totally lost:

http://kyhorsepark.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4479&Itemid=459